Chapter Five- Light Up

I was a fairly good driver since I got my license a few months ago. I looked in my mirrors, signaled when I would turn, and even smiled and let pedestrians go before me. But when he sat beside me, his eyes did not leave me which made me nervous. I cannot remember much about the drive except I left the house at around ten and got into almost three accidents by ten thirty. And by the time we reached the high school. Or as I liked to call it- Academic Prison.

        "I take it this isn't among your favorite of places." He said as he noticed my hesitation.

        "One of the least." I murmured. I looked over to find his eyes still on me. "Why do you keep looking at me?"

        "You are very natural."

        I'll admit. Not the compliment I was looking for, but hey, I'm not picky.

        "That's a new one." I said jokingly.

        "I didn't mean anything by it. There are very few girls-young women who treasure how they look. But also don't try too hard..."

        I smiled at him before a not-so-kind familiar face walked up to my car. Unfortunately, I knew the scent of pot and porn magazines from a mile away. 

        "Ethan." I said with a not so caring smile. He greeted me with a sloppy kiss on the cheek in which I wiped off. Placing my hand back on my steering wheel, he looked over and saw Nicholas sitting in the passenger seat. Giving him a look of "oh really", he whispered among his friends before leaning back in the car. 

        "Didn't she tell you? She's a hundred dollars an hour."

        This infuriated Nicholas. He was out of the car within seconds before he walked over toward him. I jumped out of my car quickly as well. There was such a large part of me that wanted Ethan to get his own medicine, but I knew I would feel guilt for it later so I intervened.

        "You should learn how to talk and respect ladies." He said with a calm tone, although his eyes and stance said others.

        "And you should lay off the roids bro." He said pretending to be cocky. "What, you gonna hit me? This is on MY school grounds-I could have you arrested!"

        There was a look Nicholas gave me that told me he could handle this without my worrying. So I leaned back against my car as he approached him.

        "I guess I feel more sorry for you. The fact you have to get high and sell just to have friends that I guarantee wouldn't have your back if it came down to it is just sad. That on top of the fact, you belittle women because you believe it will make them want you and yet...I bet your wrist is getting pretty sore by now isn't it." By this point, Ethan was enraged. "I bet you if you could actually fight, you would make some excuse or get your "friends" to help. But deep down inside you know you couldn't muster up the courage to throw a punch. And if you did, you know you wouldn't last long because of those weak wrists. Just stick to your pot and magazines-got it?"

        "Whatever." Ethan said as he used his skateboard and moved to the other side of the sidewalk. He removed a joint from his pocket and lit it up, along with his friends.

        "You didn't have to do that..." I said as I got back into the car.

        "Nobody should talk to you like that. You deserve far better." He said as he was now looking at the road ahead instead of me.

        "And to think, I couldn't even get you to tell me your name."