Chapter Fifty- Parental Guidance

I awoke that morning to find the bed empty. Nick was gone and his shoes were not in the house-he had left. He knew I had school today so I hoped he would not stay gone long. Making my way into the kitchen, I saw how Maya had already made herself at home. She was using her laptop on the table as she was drinking coffee. Her hair was placed in an incredibly messy bun but she had thick makeup on her eyes and skimpy pajamas.

"Nick already left. I guess he was following a lead or something..."

"Did he say when he would be back?"

She turned and looked at the clock behind her before turning back to me.

"He should be back within the hour..." As I talked I heard a familiar voice on the laptop. It was my mother...Maya was watching her videos! How did she get them?

When I asked her, she gave the answer as if she had won something.

"Nick gave them to me...I asked if he had anything of my mother and he gave me these..."

Ugh! Why would he trust her? He even told me himself he didn't...this made no sense!

I tried to calm down before making it to the bigger issues.

"How old are you?"

"I'll be fifteen next month..."

"So you should be in Junior High?"

"Freshman. I'm not that much younger than you." She said with an incredibly harsh laugh.

She was prettier than I was. She had skinnier legs and the gap between her thighs. She had longer hair that was perfect-always, and gorgeous eyes. I envied her and maybe that is why I didn't trust her now.

"We should enroll you this semester. That way you can stay caught up with your class..."

"Can't you just homeschool me?"

"I have school too."

"Can't Nick do it?"

"He does other stuff....listen, I have to get ready-I have to leave in about an hour but I need you to get ready too-You are enrolling in school today. So hurry up." She gave me a cruel look before stomping off upstairs. I did intend on showering...too late now since she was already in there.

I placed my hair in a ponytail to hide the glossy grease look and put just a small amount of makeup on my eyes as I had always done before tearing through my closet. Hanger by hanger, one by one, I went through each shirt, dress, pants, and dress before I came across the perfect ensemble; A t-shirt that hung off my shoulder and a pair of black skinny jeans with cuts in the knees and thighs. Before going back downstairs, I placed a spurt or two-or twelve of perfume before finding some breakfast down stairs.

"We are leaving in ten!" I yelled up the stairs as I realized it took me longer to get ready the expected. Making sure my homework was in my bag, I flung it over my shoulder before I then snagged some juice and fruit from the fridge. I leaned against the counter and realized I left my phone upstairs. Sighing at the amount of effort I knew it took climbing the stairs, I walked up and toward my room but found Maya's room ajar. I peeked through out of complete nosiness and saw her texting frantically on her phone as she took a photograph of herself as she was hardly dressed.

"What are you doing?" I asked, opening the door suddenly-making her jump.

She hid herself behind the shirt that was hanging on her waist.

"No please, you didn't seem to care for the camera..."

"Who are you sending them too? Huh?"

She just giggled before placing the shirt over her chest and walking past me. Ignoring me as I called her name, I realized I had a priority coming up in the first place. Going back to my room, I snagged my phone and wrote Nick a note saying how I took the bus since he hijacked my car.

As we walked outside, she never lifted her eyes from the phone. I was intrigued and oddly overprotective as if she were my daughter. When we stood at the bus stop waiting, I checked my phone in anticipation for a text from Nick. Nothing. Just before I got on the bus, I felt even more confident this relationship was to fail. I had a heavy heart getting on the bus. And as I made my way toward school I knew what I had to do when I got home tonight...