Chapter Thirty- Caveat

We spent the entire time Peter was gone before realizing he must have hidden the tape somewhere only he would know. Just as he opened the door, the house was placed back in order as if we had just been sitting still since he was gone. As we looked, we concocted a plan on how to deal with dear old father.

"I apologize for being angry. I'm just not used to all of these changes..."

"I understand. Can we start over? Do something just the two of us?"

At this point, Nick went off the plan.

"Why is it so desperate that you two be alone?"

"To bond with her without your influence."

I placed my hand on his chest to calm him, but was surprised to find his heartbeat was racing incredibly quick.

"Fine. Tomorrow-but not fishing. We can go to the bookstore. I need some new material."

He nodded with a kind smile. But as I saw his smile twitch, I felt nothing but deceit hiding behind each word, even his smile I found suspicious.

"I was thinking that it is probably best you stay out in the barn...For my moral reasons..." Peter interjected as Nick just calmed.

Now getting back on plan, he nodded.

"I was just going to suggest that."

"Good, well I have to put away the groceries...and I would like to make you supper...is that alright?"

I nodded, not wanting to offend him. He gave me another smile before Nick pulled me out to the barn. But before I exited the door and Nick was already ahead of me, I was pulled back by a rough grasp.

"You wouldn't be offended if I wanted the keys to your car would you? Just to make sure you don't do something stupid..."

I reached into my pocket and handed him my keys since I was unable to leave anyway. Walking out to the barn, Nick pulled me behind it and he hid me in a small corner that made the rest of the barn disappear.

"I don't know if I can go with this plan. I know you don't want to upset him-but I don't want to be near him and I sure as heck don't want him to be near you..."

"Why not?" I asked-desperate for him to explain just once his true feelings for me.

"Because you don't know him. He had ties to your mother and I have a feeling he was one of the last ones to see her...plus you have to see him at school." Nick paused. "He's a teacher, right?"

I nodded.

"Then why did he not remember school was tomorrow?"

Such a stupid question to most but it made the most uneasy feeling develop in my stomach. He was right, why didn't he know? Even sitting at the dinner table that night I was itching to ask that question more than any. Eventually, it spilled out before I could stop it.

He looked at me with a hard expression.

"Days run together. To be honest, I have had to take a few months off. A misunderstanding at school..."

"What kind of...misunderstanding?" Nick said, yet again being protective.

"Some student's grades got mixed up and they thought I did it for a reason..."

"Oh." I eased in my chair.

I looked over to find Nick blinking fast then standing up.

"I'm gonna go lay down...I'll see you in the morning." He said as he rushed toward the barn.

Something had not been right. Never in a million years would he have left me with someone he didn't know...someone he didn't trust.