Chapter Twenty Eight- Play. Pause. Repeat.

Placing the USB in the port, my heart began racing. What was upon this tape that mother did not tell me directly? What had she been going through her final days? It became evident when I saw her condition upon the tape. Sporting a subtle black eye covered as much as possible with makeup, she looked to the camera with glossy eyes filled with tears and a quivering lip.

"I was not sure until today. Now I know. My life is ending soon. I am sure my daughter is clever enough to obtain this tape and I ask you rid it as soon as you get all the information."

Nick paused the video as he pointed out a reflection in the mirror behind my mother. There was someone else with her. A woman with long hair that covered her face. Dark like my mothers, but wild as if just mauled by a wild creature.

He then placed his finger back upon the button to play it.

"Savannah, my darling, I want you to know so many things but am afraid I have no time to do so." The camera was now picked up and moved by her. She walked outside and into the barn. "I promised you since the day you were born that you would never have to worry about anything. I want you to know that that's why this is here." My mother opened up a hatch underneath a stack of hay to reveal a box. Somewhat large in size and milk chocolate in color. "This will help you until you can be on your own. I am sorry I left you by yourself. But you are very independent."

I noticed while watching the video how mother was not holding the camera but it had been moving. The coal haired lady was holding it. It must be her.

"I know you will be something great one day. I know you will be someone's greatest love because your heart is so big-even since you were little." My mother was now crying. Tears pouring like a waterfall down her cheeks-all while her makeup staying unaffected. "You are my greatest creation. My greatest love and my proudest achievement. I am sorry, but know that I will be guiding you the best I can. I knew somebody could find that other tape so it is just of family videos. A video which shows your real father. My daughter, I love you completely and hope you can forgive me for not explaining any of this sooner. I am not the best of role models because my heart is not as pure as yours."

Nick placed his arm across my shoulders as I too began crying.

"I know that you will be alright. But there is something you need to know. It is the reason you have the money in the barn. And it is why it needs to stay hidden. I have been blackmailing the men who throw advances to me. I do this because I realized you deserve a better life. Your father was a good man, but he passed away when you were very young and left me with a small fortune. One to support us until you would be the age of ten. I had to do something for you. So I did this. Do not feel guilty for the prospects I chose were that of sinners and nothing happened anyway. I would simply get them to the house, give them a sedative, and they would wake up in my room-often with me absent. Then they would be given an ultimatum by an anonymous person-threatening to ruin their lives unless they paid a fee to keep the source quiet."

Mother wiped the final tears from her eyes before she looked closer in the camera.

"You must understand. I am not what they will say I am. I did what I did to support us. We lived a good life-I did and I never want you to think otherwise. Truth of the matter is that I was not a good person but I was a good mother-that I am sure of. But you must know, I made enemies for some of the prospects did find out I was blackmailing them and they didn't care how they hurt me."

She now took the camera in her grasp and the other woman was distant in the background, placing the boards back. When she stood up, mother began talking and I focused to her.

"I am sorry. I can never say that enough. I know I was not there for you, but I hope to be now. Even if I am no longer physically there. I promise you, you will never have to worry about anything as long as you have that money. There should be at least a million or two in there. I lost count. I love you. I will be watching over you."

The tape ended.