Chapter Twenty One- Secrets Best Kept to One's self

Returning home, I found Nick sitting on the steps outside. He wore an angry expression on his face before he yanked me from my sarcastic stance and into the house where he shut the front door hard.

"Do you have any idea how worried I was?" He said the words as if he cared.

"You seem quite worried for someone who has no interest in me."

"You and I both know that isn't true."

This caught me by surprise. Did he just admit his feelings for me or was I hearing just what I wanted to?

"Where did you go?"

"To get breakfast." My decision to keep my secrets to myself came to me in the car outside. They way he was forceful over me. Usually I had liked it, the rush it gave me-but in this instance, I detested it. He treated me like a moveable doll and to be frank, I did not trust him enough to indulge all my secrets just yet.

"I don't see it...." He said with an analyzing expression.

"I ate it there..." I paused as he contemplated on what to say next. "What were you doing at the diner last night?"

"I went for a walk...."

"Eight miles into town? And you just happen to see me?"

"You put yourself in a situation in which was reckless. You could have been killed." His expression was now sad, as if realizing my absence could actually make him budge.

"But you were there...just like you always seem to be. For someone who says they have no romantic feeling-"

"Can you let that go? You're vulnerable and I'm desiring. It is not a good combination you and I and I think you know that..."

"The only think I know is you are putting me on an emotional roller-coaster and I'm done. You can stay here all you like but not more flirting or being harsh. Be one way not three..." I said before dismissing myself from the kitchen. Just as I entered the hall to the steps, my phone buzzed in my pocket.

I slid my finger across the screen to open it to discover a text from my friend Lea.

"Call me. Ethan's dead."