Chapter Twenty Three- Mourning

We had been there three hours supposedly mourning Ethan, when instead, Lea and the other girls were grilling Nick. He gave them answers that I already knew from the short conversations we had together. But as the other girls were talking to him, Lea pulled me aside.

"So you guys like together?" She asked as she played with her hair.

"No."

As I stated this, I saw how Nick's glance shifted quickly to me. His eyes were sad but then he smirked. Answering one of the girl's questions, he elevated the tone of his voice so I overheard.

"No, I'm not with anyone. Nobody is worth it in this town."

I get his facade and his reason for doing this, but it hurt nonetheless. Lea gave me a look she often gave when she had interest in a man. She had always taken the guys that I liked, but I knew I never had a chance. Especially with Nick's contradicting words and wounding actions.

I was unable to handle all this anymore. Between my mother's death, Ethan's, and my unknown relationship with Nick, I bolted out the door with tears in my eyes. The other girls just remained inside as Nick followed me out.

"Are you okay?"

"Like you care!" I exploded.

"What? Of course I do."

"The comment you said in there, plus your confusing words-I can't handle all of this. If you want to be with me-"

Before I could speak another word, his waist pushed me back against the house, right beside the window. This action made me gasp as he placed one hand upon my waist. He moved his other hand up to my mouth and placed his finger along my bottom lip. Having it linger for just a moment, he then moved it away.

"You are so confusing...I don't know what you want-"

His lips were now against mine. Just as they had been a few nights before. Except now the kiss was sweet, not fervent and not cruel or painful-just intimate and between us. Since he stood incredibly taller than me, he was able to move me with little force if any. I was at his disposal-he could do whatever he wished and I would endure it. But as the kiss continued over the period of the hour, I felt his grasp grow more and more tight.

He placed his hands now on either side of my waist before pulling back from the kiss.

"What is it? Why do you pull away from me?"

"We should get going...You have a meeting with child protective services..."

"That's today?"

"In twenty minutes, it was on your calendar...."

"You cannot always escape this topic Nick, I will get you to explain yourself one way or another."

As I walked toward the car, he stopped me once more.

"I lied in there with the comment I said. There is only one girl worth it..."