Chapter Thirty Two- Bird in a Cage

I awoke with a raging headache the next morning and found I was peacefully placed in my bed. Had it all been a dream? Was Peter still kind or what he would consider kind? But as I went to move my body, I found that I was deceived by my conjured hope. My face was aching immensely and I found my mirror on my dresser to verify what I dreaded-the glass from the car tore my face. My right cheek was bandaged as well as the forehead on my right side and I had bandages on my wrists, arms, and fingers.

When I went to leave the room, I noticed it to be tough. Before, it jammed but that was only due to a tumbler that never wanted to cooperate since this house was older than the town itself it resided in. I pulled and pulled before it flew open and there stood Peter. I saw as his eyes were now cruel. No kindness or morality stood there. Only darkness. A deep darkness that made me want to question my own sanity.

As he entered, I saw that his hands were bloody and my thoughts quickly went to Nick.

"Where's Nick?" My raspy voice asked due to the beginning stages of dehydration setting in.

"Sleeping." His voice said calmly. "You know I never understood love. I mean...like unconditional, abstinence, even formal. I always imagined carnal connection-not love."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Your mother owed me money. Hard cash and I know she must have left something for you..."

"So you show up here and do what?"

"I went to look in the house but the police were surrounding it."

"Did you kill her?" I asked, my voice cracking as the words left my mouth.

"It wasn't that easy. I wasn't like the other guys your mother drugged. I was her love. She admired me and I made her believe I felt the same. But I found out about him...He gave her everything she ever wanted without anything in return..."

"Who?"

He smiled the most cryptic and creepy smile I had ever witnessed.

"At least tell me why your hands are bloody." I said, getting my strength back now-slowly but surely.

"Lunch. I found a chicken outside the barn and decided why not?"

"Why are you doing this to me? Why not just look for it?"

"I knew she had a daughter..." He began as he shut the door and leaned against it. "But I never knew you were quite this beautiful and I will be frank here, I crave your touch and to be in your bed beside you."

I cringed at the thought.

"I can make you happy in ways that boy never could."

I took every strong word I held before speaking.

"He is a million times the man you could ever imagine to be."

This struck an angry cord in which he did not appreciate. In a hard swipe, his hand made contact with my cheek. I froze. A sharp sting following a burning emerged on my skin. He hit the cheek which had been wounded before.

As I held myself to recover, he left. I realized I was helpless, hopeless, and terrified of what was to come. So many questions still danced in my mind. Did he kill my mother? Why do this to me and Nick? How did he become a teacher although he is certifiably insane? But most importantly, was Nick okay?