Chapter Twenty- Evidence

I was contradicting on whether or not waking Nick to tell him of the latest development. But I knew he would grow upset and he was unable to come with anyhow so I decided to drive myself. Upon my arrival, I looked into my mirror and adjusted my bandage. It fell into my lap and revealed only as small would-be scar on my forehead.

Exiting my car, I took a deep breath in for whatever the news had been. It was then, I was called over by the detective as his partner who were returning from a coffee run. They pushed open the large metal doors with the precinct number and name of station on it as they led me to an office.

It was decorated with awards of all kinds and photographs of people I assumed where his family and friends. A crayon drawing hung proudly over the edge of the desk beside the detective's name; Miguel Carrighen.

"You have news of my mother's death?" I began, anxious more than content.

Miguel looked to his partner as he handed me a dossier with my mother's name and her picture on the front.

"What is this?"

"This is a file on your mother's life."

"Okay?"

"We have been keeping a close eye on your mother for some time now."

"Why?" I said, my voice now more upset than calm.

"She has...entertained many men...many important and dangerous men." The detective's partner now chimed in as well.

"We talked to these men in the course of the past three days. Long interrogations, hard evidence...."

"What are you trying to tell me?"

"Your mother was blackmailing men for money. She would target them, pick them out, then seduce them. The ones that refused it, she drugged..."

"No. NO! That's not right. My mother just had lots of male friends..."

"We aren't suggesting that....we found a little black book filled with the numbers that add up to the suspect's stories."

My head was spinning. My mother that I cherished so dearly, I sacrificed and defended- she was a manipulator. Using seduction and drugs and probably alcohol causing them to succumb to their desires for money.

"Was she a prostitute?" The question exited my mouth faster than I can stop it.

"No. They paid her to keep quiet, not for the act itself. Many of the men asked to remain anonymous...one even said there was another man there at one point..."

"I can assure you it had been just me and my mother in the house that night." A statement that was indeed true since Nicholas had been in the barn.

"I think it's best we take it from here. We thought you might have some information about this..."

"No. I had no idea...."

"We'll keep you informed of any later developments." The detective said as I rose from my chair and out of the office. Just before I closed the door, I heard them speak a few words in which I wish I could forget myself.

"Do you really think she's lying?"

"She is definitely holding something back...."