Chapter Thirty Three- Opportunity Knocks to Those Who Listen

Three days. Feeling like a prisoner in my own residence. Looking through books I had read a zillion times and could recite while asleep, dreaming to escape, lying in bed feeling more like I'm dead than alive. I was not physically placed here, not shackles held me down, to ties bound my hand. But that didn't stop the emotional damage I felt. I had been lied to continuously-especially lately.

Day Four, I laid in bed that night and conjured all the happy memories in my life. But I found my adventures with Nick were among the best. My mother was absent, my father was dead, and I was being held captive by a homicidal maniac.

I craved the freedom of the fresh air. I even envied the grasshoppers I could hear outside. Just as my eyes closed, I heard my door creak open. I clenched my jaw and squeezed my eyes tight as I was readying myself to put up a fight. But as my heart was pounding fast and my blood was boiling, I felt familiar hands.

"Nick." I whispered as I felt him hug me tight. It was dark so I was unable to see his condition at the time, but he moved alright. He took a sharp hold on my wrist before tearing me from the room.

"How did you get out?"

"I knocked him out." He said with a whisper.

As we walked toward the front door, I heard mumbling behind us. On the floor, Peter was regaining consciousness and we were desperate for an escape. I was unable to find my keys and we had no time to waste. Darting out the door, we headed toward the car and Nick hopped in the front seat. I locked the doors as I noticed my window had gotten fixed from when Peter had smashed it before.

Nick lowered himself in the seat as he was doing something under the seat. Before I knew it, the engine started and the lights were on. When the headlights were focused ahead, we saw Peter standing in front of the car. Nick gave him a death stare before moving closer to the car. Nick revved the engine.

"Don't. He isn't worth it." I said as I placed my hand upon his lap.

He took a deep breath as his hands were trembling. As we went to leave, I noticed an eerie smile on Peter's face. I soon realized we would not get away as we thought.

Nick backed up the car and set out on the road as Peter stood still in his place. We got a little while down the road before a tire blew out and the car went in a spin. It finally rested against a post on my side. I awoke the next morning in a hotel room.

"Where are we?"

"Far away."

"What happened?" I asked as I now saw the scars on his face. Bruised, bandaged, bloody, and swollen, he gave me a sad look.

"You got into an accident. I brought you here to motel. He is going to think we left town...We should be safe here...If anyone asks we are a married couple on our honeymoon-it's what I told them at the lobby."

"That's what you chose to say?"

"What do you mean?"

"You could have said we were brother and sister..."

He smirked. "Doesn't make it as exciting..."

My heart was warmed by his smile, but as I laid in the bed I recounted all that had just happened. We were now like fugitives. Like Bonnie and Clyde on the run...Wanted by a madman for something he would never obtain.