42

Felt like it was ready, might delete later 🤪

__________________________________

Arabella

The palms of my hands began to sweat as I stared at the house I once longed to escape from. I knocked a total of three times before regretting my decision on coming back.

Just as I turned to walk away, the door was suddenly opened. My once staged smile immediately turned into a genuine expression as I gazed at the woman before me as she opened the door.

"Why I don't believe my eyes. Come give me a hug, child" I giggled as she pulled me into a warm bone crushing hug. My chin rested on her shoulder as I took a breath of her scent in which I was very familiar with. "Gosh, come in come in" her hands never leaving mine as she pulled me inside shouting the door behind her "Goodness, this is a miracle! I knew one day you would come back, for me of course"

I chuckled at her contagious laugh, gosh did I miss seeing her smile. Ms.Wilson was (and still) like a mother to me growing up. She was the maid my parents hired but to me she was so much more than that. She was there for me when I got my first boyfriend, whenever I was sick, she was there for me during prom, graduation and basically every other milestone in my life. She was way more than a maid, was my mom.

"Darling you've gotten so skinny, have you been eating? Let me make you something while you're here"

"No no Ms.Wilson it's okay, I just came to speak to them"

"Oh, very well then, you look beautiful regardless. They're in the living room, come this way"

I followed behind closely fidgeting with my fingers. My thoughts began flooding my brain as we walked in silence. What am I doing here? Should I just leave before it's too late?

"Mister and Misses Jones, you have a visitor" Almost instantly, as Ms.Wilson stepped to the side to reveal my presence, their eyes were on me. I first brought my eyes to my mothers intense stare, as she stood from her seat

Her eyes revealed how stunned she was but her lips failed to translate "What are you doing here?

"Arabella is it really you?"

"Um..y-yeah" I replied ignoring my moms rude welcome and their dramatic response to my entrance

"I shall start preparing dinner" Ms.Wilson said lowly before exiting the large room. To avoid the awkward silence, my eyes began to wander around the room remembering so many things from back then

"I-I can't believe you're here" I was suddenly pulled into his arms as he hugged me tightly as I stood dumbfounded

"Sit sit, me and your mother have waited for this day" he gestured for me to take a seat on the sofa as he and my so called mother sat across on the love seat

"I uh—"

"I believe I asked you a question, what are you doing here?"

"Honey please," his eyes shot a glare at her before looking back at me "We're both so happy that you decided to stop by"

I don't know why I expected her to act any different than before

My mother and I never were the perfect duo as I grew up. We often got into big arguments which I thought was normal. That was until I witnessed a healthy relationship with Jade and her mother.

"After receiving your message, I thought about it and figured this talk could do us both some good"

"I couldn't agree more" my father started. Surely his enthusiasm was very confusing to me. Four years ago he wouldn't even look me in my eyes when they kicked me out so why was he acting like this now?