Chapter 2

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ²⁻ "ᴹʸ ⁿⁱᵉᶜᵉ ⁱˢ ᵐᵒʳᵉ ᵗʰᵃⁿ ᶜᵃᵖᵃᵇˡᵉ ᵒᶠ ᵗᵃᵏⁱⁿᵍ ᶜᵃʳᵉ ᵒᶠ ʰᵉʳˢᵉˡᶠ"

My aunt did not calm down the next day. In fact, she became even more hysterical.

Unfortunately, we were going to be joined by Draco Malfoy and his father, in Diagon Alley since my father had something important to talk about with Lucius.

I always like the Malfoys.

Even though Lucius Malfoy was an arrogant, mean and judgemental man who treated everyone like they were beneath him, he was good to me and my family. He loved me like a daughter and spoilt me like a princess and so, I had nothing against him.

Narcissa Malfoy always wanted a daughter. I was the closest she ever got to one but she too loved me as her own. I always had her to fall back on if I did not have my aunt when my mother passed away.

I always did wish Draco Malfoy would be half as nice to me as his parents.

--

Diagon Alley was swarming with people of all ages and kinds as usual.

I always hated coming to such places. Places filled with people staring at you as if they'd never seen royalty before.

People who give looks as if they could do something to me, to us, purebloods. When in reality, everyone knew we could easily hex them for breathing the same air as us and get away with it quicker than one can say Azkaban.

However, as taught, I kept my chin up and expressions stern, as we walked through the lanes of the place.

We saw Lucius and Draco Malfoy waiting for us near Ollivander's wand shop and we were quick to join them.

My father and Lucius shook hands and then shared a brief hug. He then exchanged a polite nod with my aunt, both of them respectfully acknowledging the other's presence.

"My, my, Cassiopeia! Look how much you have grown up! It is Cassiopeia, is it not?" Lucius teased making me chuckle. "Soon, someone is going to mistake you for Esther"

I loved it when someone compared me to my mother. It was really good to be reminded by people who knew her that I have part of her in me.

"And look at you, Draco," my father exclaimed and I could see Malfoy fill up with joy and pride. I resisted the urge to scoff at his predictable behaviour.

"You have gotten quite tall. I hope I can count on you to keep my Cassie safe at Hogwarts?" my father questioned and Malfoy's usual, stupid smirk came onto his lips.

"Of course, mister Ambers, sir," the complacent blond replied. Yet again, I resisted the urge to scoff. He was just so predictable.

"Well," my aunt spoke up, putting her hand on my shoulder. "I think my niece is more than capable of taking care of herself. Not that Draco can't. I'm sure he would do a fantastic job as well"

Now, this, this made me smile.

Lillian always had the courage to say things that were on her mind. She never held back and that is precisely why she was hated, feared and respected so much. She held a lot of power but she only took advantage of it when protecting or standing up for her family.

My father cleared his throat. "Why don't you children run along inside? We will meet you right here in about two hours. Here's some money, Cassie" he said handing me a jute pouch filled with galleons.

My aunt gave me a kiss on my forehead and whispered be good before disappearing into the crowd with Lucius and father.

"Shall we?" Malfoy did a mocking bow as he opened the door for me. I stifled a laugh and resisted the urge to point out how foolish he looked.

--

It was now my turn to pick my wand. Well, for a wand to pick me.

I stepped forward to face the man I assumed would be Ollivander.

"Ah, miss Ambers," the old man muttered. "I know just what- yes- yes-" he continued, walking away.

I tilted my head towards Malfoy in confusion but the blond was too busy posing with his new wand. I shook my head and turned back.

Ollivander handed me a wand and I knew as soon as I'd seen it, that wasn't my wand. But just so as to not be disrespectful, I gave it a 'go' as the man instructed.

I flicked the wand and on doing so, a flower vase placed behind the old man shattered.

As a reflex, my hands flew up to my face to protect it. When I opened my eyes, I saw Malfoy shielding me from the glass shards.

"Happens all the time," Ollivander smiled. "I wanted to change the flowers anyways." He went away again to find me a different wand.

I cleared my throat making Malfoy back away.

"I wasn't protecting you. I know you don't need me for that anyway," the blond answered a question I never asked. "I was just- uh- looking at the table. Up close"

I nodded my head, not wanting to make it even worse. "Right"

Ollivander returned with another box in his hand. "Ebony wood with a Phoenix feather core. Supple flexibility, 13". Yes, yes, that ought to be it," the man muttered to himself as he handed me the wand.

The minute I held the wand in my hand, a feeling of comfort filled me. A light glow filled the shop and it was clear that was my wand.

--

After we'd gotten our wands, Malfoy and I got our robes. We ran into our parents on the way to the book shop and they informed us that they'd already bought our books, leaving us with some spare money and time.

After not a lot of convincing, our parents agreed to let us go eat ice cream.

Naturally, we ran to our favourite ice cream parlour. Malfoy, as usual, got his favourite flavour,chocolate and raspberry. Meanwhile, I enjoyed a salted caramel blondie as we saton a bench naming our favourite quidditch players for the millionth time in ourlives.