Chapter 50

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ⁵⁰⁻ "ᴮᵉᶜᵃᵘˢᵉ ʷᵉ ⁿᵉᵉᵈ ʰᵉˡᵖ"

Malfoy and I had a late one the night prior. He'd fallen asleep while finishing his work and I did not wish to wake him up. It was hard enough to make him get some rest.

So, while he slept all night, I stayed awake, keeping watch and simultaneously studying. Occasionally sneaking glances at the blond. He was quite peaceful when he was asleep.

We were walking back to our dormitory when we saw the Gryffindor team having their tryouts. Harry Potter was the captain and was unable to manage this as well. From the looks of it anyway.

We snuck off to the back of the stands, observing their practice, studying their game and having a laugh while doing so.

Cormac McLaggen was doing quite well as a keeper. He had to have been selected. Perhaps the Gryffindors had some hope left after all.

"He looks ill," I laughed at the state of Ronald Weasley hanging off his broom.

"Does he?" Malfoy smirked. "I thought that's how he always looks"

"Did she just-" my mouth fell open at the sight of Granger sabotaging her own house's team. "Well, if Weasley makes the team, it's all Granger's fault. She just cost her team a good player because she fancies some bimbo"

"Maybe we could provide Weasley with some... extra support"

--

Theo let out a loud groan as he shut the book in front of him shut. "We'll need to kill ten people for that plan to succeed, Cassie"

We were in the library going over some ideas I had in class. Apparently, all of them included death caused by us. Theo, being Theo, opposed this.

I knew I needed to let go of my ego now. Each and every one of our plans had faced some sort of problem and it was clear we could not achieve what we wanted all on our own without getting blood on our hands.

I took a deep breath and began rubbing my temples. "Maybe we should ask for help"

Just then the new potions professor happened to walk past us and notice us. He walked up to us with a huge grin on his face and books in his hands. He slammed the books on the table startling both of us.

"Miss Cassiopeia Ambers and mister Theo Nott," he greeted in a loud voice. "Top of your class, prefects and my personal favourite students. Don't tell the others." He whispered and burst out laughing. We followed his lead and let out a half-hearted laugh.

He then proceeded to explain his little Slug Club and how he had a party coming up soon. He invited us and I agreed when I heard about the people who would be joining us. He then told us to invite Blaise and walked away.

"Why did we agree to that?"

"Because we need help"

--

That night, when I got to my room after dinner, I saw a letter on my bed. I immediately checked who it was from and saw my aunt's name on it.

I practically tore it open, unable to contain my emotions.

Dear Cassie,

It's good to hear from you, my darling. I understand you are upset and confused. I promise I will explain everything but I cannot do so in a letter. I will tell you everything when you return home for Yule.

Please take care of yourself and your friends. Make sure nobody does anything reckless. Avoid drawing attention to yourself and lay low. You just need to take this for a couple of months more, my love.

I truly am sorry about everything.

Waiting to hear from you...

Lillian.

That was all.

Frustrated, I made my way down to the common room but I saw nobody. Everyone must've been tired and made their way to bed.

Just as I was about to leave, I saw Malfoy sneak out of the dormitory without noticing me standing there.

I felt so sorry for the boy. He was enduring the most out of all of us. He tried so hard to look strong and unbothered but I knew it was all a façade. He was terrified and what happened the night they got their Dark Mark was proof of that.

He came to my house that night. It was late and I was asleep. His restless knocks on my door awoke me.

I opened the door and saw him clutching his hand. His pain, distress and agitation were evident.

"It hurts," he squeaked. "A-And I didn't know where to go"

All rational thoughts exited my mind and I engulfed him in a tight hug. He returned it and I felt drops of water fall on my shoulder.

I'd seen him cry twice that night and never before or after that.

He'd completely shut off his emotions and I would be damned if I let him turn into a bloody emotionless and helpless boy.