Chapter 13

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ¹³⁻ "ᴵ ᵈᵒⁿ'ᵗ ᵏⁿᵒʷ ʷʰⁱᶜʰ ᵒⁿᵉ ᵗᵒ ᵗᵃᵏᵉ ᵖⁱᵗʸ ᵒⁿ"

Thankfully, this summer went by in a jiffy. Since I hadn't been able to spend it with Blaise as I had planned, I was a tad bit sad. But, all of my friends did write to me all summer making it better.

My summer wasn't as miserable as I thought it would've been. I did not kill Malfoy so I would say it went fairly well- not that I did not have any desires. I did many, many times.

But like I said, one minute I was eating macarons in a cafe near the Eiffel Tower and the next, I was elbowing people out of my way in Flourish and Bolts.

The bookstore was much more crowded than it usually would be. All because of Gilderoy Lockhart.

My father and Lucius had been much more secretive in the past few days than they usually were and so were maintaining a distance from Malfoy and me.

After we finally got our piles full of books that were needed this year, we had the misfortune of bumping into Potter and little gang.

A disgusted look plastered onto my face and a smug smile on Malfoy's.

I knew he was about to do something and I knew I had to support his stupid decision. After all, he couldn't have been happy about the fact that Potter got a picture for the Daily Prophet.

"Bet you loved that didn't you Potter?" Malfoy asked with disgust and annoyance laced in his voice. "Famous Harry Potter can't even go into a bookshop without making the front page"

It appeared like Potter was too busy being scared under Malfoy's stare. So, a little red-headed girl came in to defend him.

"Leave him alone," she growled trying to mimic the infamous Malfoy stare and obviously failing.

"Oh look, Potter's got himself a girlfriend," Malfoy couldn't have been more delighted to have found someone to trouble as well.

Meanwhile, I was trying to control my laughter over how many times Malfoy had said the word Potter. He would always pop the P and I never knew why, but always found it hilarious.

I got my act together and let out a scoff. "And a Weasley too, from the looks of it," I stated in an amused tone- doing the right thing and joining my friend in making fun of someone.

"I don't know which one to take pity on," Malfoy laughed evilly and was joined by me.

"Now, now, children. Play nicely," Lucius and my father came to our side, making our chests fill up with pride and the smug smirk on our faces grow.

Just then another red-haired middle-aged man came up to us.

All this red hair and poverty were going to make me sick.

"Children," the man spoke up trying not to meet my father's or Lucius' eyes. "It's mad in here. Let's go outside"

"Well, well, well. Weasley senior," my father said in an arrogant tone.

He would always turn into a different person whenever around people like Weasley.

"Busy time at the Ministry Arthur, all those extra raids? I do hope they are paying you overtime"

"Judging by the looks of it, I wouldn't say it was likely," Lucius answered in an equally arrogant tone and making the Weasleys uncomfortable.

Lucius and my father seemed to have some sort of connection when it came to insulting people.

Situations like these made me wonder if they would decide their insults in advance or just had been together long enough to answer each other's rhetorical questions- and in turn bad-mouth the person.

--

My father and Lucius went off for some work of their own after we had bought everything we needed. So, like last year, Malfoy and I were sitting on the same bench, eating the same flavours of ice cream. Just this year, we were talking about the incident that happened- what seemed like- moments ago.

"Your father is brilliant Cas- I mean Ambers," Malfoy complimented and I nodded along, fully aware of the statement made by the blond. "I mean did you see the looks on their faces?"

After gulping down the food in my mouth, I spoke up. "I did. I was right there Malfoy"

"Right, but that was the highlight of this year. Nothing can top that, not this year," Malfoy said shabbily, with food in his mouth.

How Narcissa birthed this animal would never fail to astound me.

"No," I said with a sneaky smile playing on my lips. "I have a feeling something might"