Chapter 49

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ⁴⁹⁻ "ᴵ ˡⁱᵏᵉ ᵍⁱʳˡˢ. ᴬˡʷᵃʸˢ ʰᵃᵛᵉ"

It was the day of the quidditch tryouts. I was in charge of conducting them, obviously.

I had already picked Blaise and Crabbe as the chasers and Goyle remained a beater. I'd convinced Malfoy to be the Slytherin seeker because I couldn't imagine the team without him. Also, because he was the best.

All of us had been trying to find a good chaser and a decent keeper for the past half hour.

There were some players that lacked dedication. Some of them lacked skill. Some of them lacked speed. And the others lacked coordination. They had some faults or the other and they weren't going to be fixed.

They were all doing their sixteenth lap around the field, and most had slowed down. The rest had already fallen down and given up.

"What the hell is going on you bloody wankers?" Blaise's voice boomed through the field. "Go faster or go home"

Some of the students increased their speeds but slowed down soon enough.

I let out a loud groan and rubbed my temples. "They've given up Blaise. They can't be forced to do better," I sighed. "Alright! That's enough. Leave my field," I announced still frustrated.

Just as the hopeless kids were leaving, Millicent Bulstrode walked up to me and gave me a warm smile. "Pathetic, are they not?"

"Of course, they are with my luck," I let out a small laugh. "Hey, where have you been all summer? Have you heard from Pansy?"

"Yeah, sorry about that," she turned away from me. "We were with my family in England"

I nodded in understanding even though I had no idea what that had anything to do with writing to us.

"Do you play?" I asked her, just to make conversation.

"That was actually what I wanted to talk to you about"

I turned my head towards her. We have talked but rarely like this.

"I do play and I would like to try out for the chaser position," she hesitated. "I know I'm late but I just thought you'd have better players"

"Alright, let's begin your try-outs"

--

Later that day, Malfoy and I were in the Room of Requirement. Malfoy was fixing the cabinet while I sat back and wrote to my aunt.

Malfoy, much to my dismay, never let me help him with his task. I kept trying but then eventually gave up.

I would usually just sit back and watch him work himself practically to death. When he was done for the day, I would take him back to his room, feed him and tuck him into bed.

We'd wake up the next day and do the same thing all over again.

I was just happy I could contribute to keeping him as well as possible.

He let out a frustrated groan when something he did was unsuccessful and began to throw things around. It would happen often.

He let out a sigh and took a seat next to me on the couch. I stopped writing, turning my face towards him.

He looked more tired as the days went by. I observed the tall blond that sat next to me before entangling my hand with his. He was in his Slytherin robes. His eyes were shut and his head was thrown back on the couch. There were bags under his eyes and a face paler than snow.

"Tell me something good," his voice came out very low. "Please"

"Well, for starters," I began. "We have finally found some good players for the team. Millie is our chaser and Tracey Davis is our keeper. We can finally start practice now," I smiled and I could see some relief on Malfoy's face. "It'd do good for the team to have some girls, too"

"How is Millie?"

"Quite well. She's been in England with her family, apparently"

--

I had dragged Malfoy to dinner after our talk. We joined our friends at the Slytherin table and finally reunited with Pansy and Millie.

The dinner reminded me of the good times we had before. When we didn't know about the war or anything of that sort. When we were allowed to be children. To have a life. To have fun.

We knew we couldn't go back to how it was before everything. We had been affected by the preparations for this war; some of us more than others. And we could never go back to how it was.

After dinner, we went back to the common room and hung out, as we did. Nobody would dare to be in the common room at the same time as us so it would always be empty whenever we were around.

Pansy cleared her throat out of the blue, catching everyone's attention. "I, uh, I have something to tell everyone-" she hesitated and began to laugh nervously.

She took a deep breath in. "I love Millicent," she blurted out.

We let out a quiet laugh. "Yeah Pans, we do, too," Theo laughed.

Pansy furrowed her brows and squinted her eyes. "N-No, I-" she began and cleared her throat again. "I love Millicent. Not the way you do," she smiled and held Millie's hand. "I hope you don't," she gave us an unsure look making Millie slap her hand.

Everyone was quiet for a while before Daphne spoke up. "Well, that would mean..." she stuttered unable to find the words.

"Yeah," Pansy confirmed. "I- I like girls. Always have"

Pansy and Millie both had smiles on their faces but they slightly faltered when they did not get a reaction from us. We were just sitting with our mouths on the floor.

Before Pansy could say anything, I laughed and hugged her as tightly as humanly possible. "Thank you for telling me this," I smiled. "I am so happy for you. Both of you"

Daphne was next to hug the two girls while the boys cheered for a blushing Pansy and Millie.

"Women are better than men anyway"

"Congratulations"

"I am proud to know you know what you want. I wish you both all the best and a happy life ahead," a tearful Theo said proudly.

Blaise put a hand on his shoulder. "They're not dying, mate"

"I know," he answered between sniffles. "But I just love love"

Daphne immediately went and hugged her boyfriend but her attempts at consoling the young man were unsuccessful.

Blaise then cleared his throat. "I also have something to say," he sat down and then got back up again. I rolled my eyes at his dramatics. "I also like girls. And boys. I like both"

He then opened his arms for one of us to come and hug him but all of us just let out silent sounds of agreement. We all knew all along.

"Wha-" he scoffed.

"I mean," Draco scrunched his nose. "Doesn't take a detective to figure that out, mate"

"It was sort of obvious," Pansy shrugged.

"Sort of?" Millie scoffed making us snigger.

Blaise's face turned into a gloomy one. "You were all happy for Pansy. How come you aren't for me?"

I rolled my eyes. "We are happy for you"

"Then hug me!" the Zabini boy demanded and the Malfoy boy was quick to his rescue.

The two boys exchanged a brotherly hug followed by a pat on the back. Then, Blaise pulled Malfoy in for another hug while Malfoy protested, making us laugh.

A/N

No homophobic comments will be tolerated!!!