Chapter 31

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ³¹⁻ "ᵂʰᵃᵗ ʷᵃˢ ᵃˡˡ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵃᵇᵒᵘᵗ ʸᵉˢᵗᵉʳᵈᵃʸ ⁿⁱᵍʰᵗ?"

The next morning, we had our first Defence Against Dark Arts lesson with the so-called mad professor.

He started with a rather unusual topic. Something that normal teachers won't teach to fourth-years, let alone on their first day as professors. But then again, perhaps that was why he was called mad.

He started with the lesson on unforgivable curses.

I thought he would talk about the curses and give an essay to write, but this man demonstrated the unforgivables. In a classroom full of fourth-years.

He enlarged a spider and performed the Imperius curse first on the creature. He made it dance around and released it on students making everyone burst out into laughter. It did die down when he said he'd make the spider throw herself out the window or drown herself.

He then performed the Cruciatus curse bothering everyone, including us Slytherins.

The squealing of the spider made me cringe so hard, that I had to look away. It was monstrous of the man to show this to children. He only stopped when Granger begged him to.

It was almost as though that sick sadist was enjoying torturing the spider and us.

He finished the job with the killing curse after Granger refused to do it herself.

My breath hitched in my throat. I shut my eyes as tightly as humanly possible. I could hear Daphne gasp and bury her head in Theo's shoulder. I could feel Pansy's grip on my arm tighten.

And people said, we Slytherins were the evil ones.

After the class got over, I told my friends to go ahead. They were going to the Great Hall to watch people put their names in the Goblet of Fire.

I pulled Potter, the one person I knew would know something about Sirius Black, into an empty classroom nearby.

He was obviously startled and confused and tried to wiggle out of my grasp, but gave up when was unsuccessful.

"Tell me everything you know about Sirius Black," I ordered, tightening my grip on Potter's neck.

He tried to twist and turn trying to look for help but was unsuccessful again. "I-I don't know anything!"

"I don't like liars," I warned him, looking directly through his bullshit.

"I'm not lying!" he exclaimed again. "You have to believe me!"

I loosened my grip, knowing he wouldn't say anything like this. I nodded my head and let him go. "I'll just have to torture it out of Weasley then," I shrugged, beginning to walk away.

"N-no, leave him alone!" the brunet exclaimed, surprisingly quickly. "He doesn't know anything either!"

"Ooh," my eyes widened in joy. "Granger it is then! Even better!"

"She won't tell you anything," yet again the reply was far too quick and he made a mistake.

My grin widened. "So, she knows something?" I enquired and Potter's face became as red as Weasley's hair. I walked back to him as he gulped nervously. "Choose Potter, either you and I have a civil conversation or your friend and I have an uncivil conversation"

He and I both knew there was only one right answer to the question.

"Why do you want to know?" he counter-questioned.

"This isn't a game"

"Exactly. It's a conversation"

I was impressed. Potter wasn't as stupid as he seemed.

"Very well," I replied, taking a seat on an empty seat. "It has recently come to my attention that he has something to do with my aunt"

"Something?" he asked but I didn't reply. I gave him a look that said 'you first' but he didn't answer.

The both of us kept quiet for some time. I realised his loyalty to Black was far more than I'd accounted for.

I cleared my throat. "They may have been," I whispered. "Dating," I completed. A shiver ran through my spine.

Potter began to chuckle. "Yeah, I think they were more than just dating," he gave me a smirk. I gagged at the thought of my aunt and... well, anyone.

"Tell me everything you know," I told Potter in a stern tone.

"You first"

"I just did"

--

I joined my friends in the Great Hall after my conversation with Potter. I would be lying if I said it went in the direction, I'd expected it to.

When I reached though, it was just Pansy and Daphne in the Great Hall. I joined them in their seats.

We didn't really care who was putting their names since no students from Slytherin were putting it in. We were all far too smart for that. We were also- like Malfoy said- born with the thing these poor lads had to fight for.

"So," Daphne turned to me. "What was all that about yesterday night?" I gave her a confused look. "You and Malfoy," she continued. "Yesterday he asked you to wait"

I shrugged. "Dunno," I replied. "He just said it could wait"

"Really?" she inhaled. "Then why was he gawking you the entirety of the Defence Against Dark Arts class?"

"He was?" I exclaimed a little too eagerly.

A satisfied grin filled Daphne's small face. She raised an eyebrow. "No. But it seems like you wanted him to"