Chapter 52

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ⁵²⁻ "ᴵ ˢᵘᵖᵖᵒˢᵉ ʸᵒᵘ ˢʰᵒᵘˡᵈ ᵗᵉˡˡ ᵐᵉ ʷʰᵃᵗ ᵏⁱⁿᵈ ᵒᶠ ʳⁱⁿᵍ ʸᵒᵘ ʷᵃⁿᵗ"

"Sirius and I met when we were children," my aunt began after taking a sip of her tea. "We didn't get along at first-"

"I don't care about that. You met, you fell in love, and it didn't work out, I know this," I rolled my eyes. "I want to know what you were doing at the bloody Ministry when everyone was searching for the prophecy"

I corrected myself before she could speak. "Or rather, what were you planning to do? And how did you know they were at the Ministry? You've made it clear you are not a death eater, then why were you on their mission?"

She placed her cup on the table and grew closer to me. "I have been following your father on his missions," she spoke in a hushed tone, "It was to make sure he would remain safe and-" she hesitated so I finished her sentence for her.

"Not die?"

"Yes," she sighed and got up. "But ever since I found out Sirius was out of Azkaban, I- I don't know Cassie, I just cannot stop thinking about him. If he's okay. When Bellatrix shot that spell, I-I don't know," she muttered as she paced back and forth. "Something in me just kept telling me-"

"To protect him," I finished and she nodded.

I understand what she's going through. The two of us are in similar boats. What Malfoy is to me, Sirius Black is to her and it will remain that way, whether I like it or not.

She will go to any lengths to protect him and I cannot change that. Just as I would go to any lengths to protect Malfoy and she cannot change that.

The only thing that concerned me was that the two of them were soon going to go to war and represented opposite sides. If something was going to happen to one of them, I will be damned if I stand by and watch my aunt be the victim. The problem was if she'd let me save her and not Black.

--

"Boo!"

Somebody was about to get beat up for startling me when I had alcohol in my hands.

I turned around but my anger was calmed down when I saw Malfoy standing behind me in his expensive Italian suit and a smirk plastered on his face.

"Thought you'd like some help sneaking those in," he grinned and helped me with the bottles of firewhiskey. "Don't want you ruining your beautiful dress"

It was the Malfoy Christmas Ball and I was indeed wearing a beautiful dress. It was a long burgundy-coloured dress with a lace-up back. It touched the floor and- unfortunately- covered my white heels.

And I was sent out to sneak some alcohol to where all of us had escaped- the roof of the Malfoy Manor.

I tucked my arm in Malfoy's and the two of us oh-so-elegantly made our way to the roof. Occasionally we would make polite chitchat with important people.

Malfoy seemed happy that night. Not just happy but excited. I did not know what had happened but I was glad. He had been gloomy far too long and he deserved all the happiness in the world.

Our friends welcomed us with a cheer but I realised that cheer was more for the booze and not us. We took our seats and opened one of the two bottles. Blaise was the first one to take a swig and passed it to Pansy- who sat closest to him.

"What's going on down there?" Daphne asked as Pansy passed the bottle to her. "When do you suppose we should head back?"

"Well," Malfoy spoke, "Only a quarter of the people are hammered so I suppose we've got an hour or so before someone breaks something"

Everyone laughed and the bottle came to me after Theo. I took a long swig and scrunched my eyebrows as I felt the alcohol burn my throat. I passed it to Malfoy.

He sat near me on the floor, his back facing me and his body resting on my feet. He was far too tall. If he threw his head back, it would almost reach my lap. Not that I would mind.

--

It was late now. The party ended some hours ago and I was in my room with Malfoy. It was routine that he'd apparate to my room after dinner. He couldn't sleep and I wasn't going to let go of an opportunity to make him feel less alone.

Sometimes we would just search for ways to fix the Vanishing Cabinet, sometimes I did his homework while he searched for ways to kill Dumbledore, sometimes he would be hitting something out of anger and I would try to calm him down.

But that night, we just sat on my balcony. Both of us watched the stars and talked about things we had never spoken about before.

"I suppose you should tell me what kind of ring you want," the blond commented making me turn to face him. He was still in his suit but he had taken off his jacket and placed it beside himself. The top buttons of his shirt were open and his tie was untied. He'd never looked more attractive.

I let out a laugh but he looked serious. "Okay, no offence to Daphne's ring, it's gorgeous, but I don't like the rectangle diamonds," I began. "I would prefer a circular one. Or an oval one, like my mum's"

"So not an emerald cut," Malfoy seemed like he was taking notes. "How was your mum's ring?"

"It was sort of a peacock green colour," I began describing the ring as best as I could. "The oval diamond, I mean. It had tiny silver diamonds on its sides. Three on each side. Those made it look like a flower," I smiled as I pictured it. "It wasn't grand or showy. It was minimalistic and classy"

He seemed to be actually listening. Not only that, but he seemed happy that I was happy. He also looked like he was taking mental notes of all the dos and don'ts.

My content thoughts were disturbed by an awful question. It had been eating me up for some time now. Well, ever since I realised, I liked Malfoy.

After the war is over, would he still want to marry me?

We weren't in an agreement but an engagement, even if he didn't actually propose. Does he actually like me or is he doing this because of his duty? Will he still like me enough to marry me?

A/N

Cassie's mum's ring <333