Chapter 12

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ¹²⁻ "ᴵᶠ ʷᵉ ᵏⁿᵉʷ ᵗʰⁱˢ ᵇᵉᵃʳᵈᵉᵈ ᵇᵃᵇᵒᵒⁿ ʷᵃˢ ᵍᵒⁱⁿᵍ ᵗᵒ ᵍⁱᵛᵉ ᵖᵒⁱⁿᵗˢ ᶠᵒʳ ᵇʳᵉᵃᵏⁱⁿᵍ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘˡᵉˢ, ʷᵉ ʷᵒᵘˡᵈ'ᵛᵉ ᵈᵒⁿᵉ ⁱᵗ ᵗᵒᵒ"

Spirits were high that day at the Slytherin table. This year, like every year, we won the house cup. But a bonus for us was the fact that Gryffindor had come in last.

All of us were very excited when we saw the Great Hall decorated in Slytherin colours.

Dumbledore got up and announced all the total house points and we cheered loudly when Slytherin's points total was announced.

But, as soon as I heard Dumbledore say something other than "Slytherin wins house cup" I knew he was about to do something upsetting.

As expected, the old lackey gave out points to Gryffindor, leading them to win the house cup.

Our bright smiles were wiped from our faces. The excitement was gone, the joy was snatched away, our high spirits shattered and our cheers were turned into mere muffles.

This was absolutely and utterly unfair. The group bias was too much for children like us to handle.

If we hadn't been taught to bottle our feelings and put up a neutral expression, I am very sure some of us would have cried while the others would've used some nasty spells on the students and teachers.

Why does everybody pick Gryffindors? Us Slytherins are the ones who obey every rule. We are the ones who are diligent. We are the ones who protect our own and are taught the importance of power at a young age.

Just because we were fortunate enough to have been born into powerful and wealthy families, it gave everyone a free pass to hate us and be rude to us.

When will these people understand that we don't have an option of what kind of family we are born in?

None of us cheered or even threw our hats after the announcement. Some of us did not even eat.

"This is just unacceptable. We won the cup fair and square. If we knew this bearded baboon was going to give points for breaking the rules, we would've done it too," Pansy complained.

The scoffed. "Don't bother. If one of us were to overlook a warning, we would've been sent to detention, gotten points taken out and the students who didn't come from powerful families would've been expelled"

Everyone hummed in agreement.

"This is just insulting," I added. "If this goes on, next year this white giraffe would give his precious Potter points for breathing!"

Everyone agreed yet again.

--

Our compartment was silent during the train ride home. Everyone was dejected after our loss and I am sure just like me, my friends were also happy to leave Hogwarts.

Usually, for people of the upper echelon, Hogwarts was an escape from reality. A reality where we had to pretend, we were this perfect group of people, when actually, all of us were miserable.

People in Slytherin were always treated as the enemy and were made to feel evil. Then when one really does turn to the dark side, people would use that as an excuse to treat the next generations the same way. It was a never-ending cycle that we were used to, but shouldn't have been.

But like I said, Malfoy was never glum, he was always cross.

Longbottom happened to be passing by our compartment and all of us targeted the boy.

Ordinally, I would've stopped them or objected to ganging up against him, but I saw him make faces at us when they were awarded the house cup.

All of us took our chance at hexing the boy and then proceeded to throw his body to the Gryffindor side of the train.

The hexing may not have brought us the house cup, but it sure did lighten the loss.