Chapter 17

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ¹⁷⁻ "ᴵ ʷᵃˢⁿ'ᵗ ᵗʳʸⁱⁿᵍ ᵗᵒ ᵇᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉʳᵒ"

"The chamber of secrets has been opened. Enemies of the Heir, beware," Blaise read the writing on the wall.

Theo instantly pulled Daphne closer to himself. Pansy was clinging to Malfoy's arm and Crabbe and Goyle were still trying to understand what was happening.

I started walking to the front of the crown to see the discussion taking place between the teachers, the headmaster and the Gryffindors, but was pulled to the back of the crowd by Blaise.

I gave him an unpleased look and even tried to wriggle out of his grasp but that made him hold on even tighter. And when Dumbledore asked everyone to leave, I was quickly pulled to the Slytherin dormitory as well.

"What the hell?" I whisper shouted, not wanting to create a ruckus.

Blaise scoffed and shook his head. "You don't need to be the hero, Cassie. Stay out of their way and mind your business. That's our rule"

I rolled my eyes and made my way to my usual spot on the couch. Everyone else followed, making the people seated at it get up and leave.

"I wasn't trying to be the hero," I crossed my hands in front of my chest. "I was just checking what had happened. Besides, I can handle myself"

"Like you 'handled yourself' at the quidditch pitch yesterday?"

I did not expect him to say that.

Blaise Zabini was always protective. He always put me first and took care of me even if I did not want him to or realise it at that moment.

Seeing me hurt or unhappy made him feel even worse because he thought he could've prevented that from happening.

So, he would make sure I wouldn't land in a similar situation; regardless of how he did it or if I wanted it to happen.

"Whose blood was that?" Pansy's voice quivered as she spoke.

She may have been tough, mean and a tad bit aggressive too, but it was only when it came to protecting her loved ones. She was never overtly violent and she certainly did not accept such barbaric actions.

Even though all of us threatened students and would ridicule them, we would never take part in brutal activities like murdering people or torturing people just because they were not purebloods.

"It doesn't matter," I spoke up. "Today was difficult. Let's just go to bed. Start afresh tomorrow"

Everyone knew what I said was more of an order than a suggestion or request.

Daphne clung to Pansy's hand and the both of them made their way to our room.

Before leaving, I pulled Malfoy back to the common room.

"Did you know?" I asked the blond. "You said Weasley would pay for what he did. Did you know about all this?"

"No," he scoffed.

I gave him a serious look and he repeated himself.

"Cassie, of course, I did not!" he exclaimed. "I meant we'd push him off his seat or throw his books in the toilet not murder a cat"

I nodded my head after being reassured. "Okay"

--

The next few days only got worse and worse.

All the students could talk about was the Chamber of Secrets and who this 'heir' was.

Granger asked McGonagall about it in class, making everyone talk about it even more.

On top of all that, everyone assumed this 'heir' was Potter. Why anyone would imagine that I don't know.

Things back home weren't in the best shape either.

Yule was plain and boring. Despite the presents and parties, it just did not feel quite like Christmas.

There wasn't holiday cheer spread in Hogwarts or at home.

It was turning out to be a bad year.