Chapter 45

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ⁴⁵⁻ "ˢᵖᵉᵃᵏ ᵗᵒ ᵐᵉ ᵉᵛᵉʳ ᵃᵍᵃⁱⁿ, ᴵ ʷⁱˡˡ ᵏⁱˡˡ ʸᵒᵘ"

We got off the platform, preparing for all the looks we were about to receive. Daphne and Theo went ahead, hand-in-hand. Pansy and Millie took the less crowded route from the back. Crabbe, Goyle and Blaise were walking ahead of me and Malfoy.

I was pulled behind. I did not refrain from pushing the person responsible as far away from me as possible, uncaring of the people watching.

I was already pissed off and seeing the person who was responsible made me boil with anger. Who the hell did Potter think he was? The bloody king of the world? Who gave him the right to touch me?

"Cassie-"

"You listen to me and listen well, Potter," I threatened, now gaining the attention of Malfoy. "I do not know why you are unable to get it through your thick skull, but we are not friends. Even if we were, you do not have the right to touch me and demand my attention whenever you please"

"I-I know"

"Speak to me ever again, I will kill you," I was not joking when I said this. I would not have hesitated to kill the person responsible for throwing Lucius into Azkaban.

--

I was sitting in front of my huge Victorian vanity as my aunt did my makeup. Usually, she never interfered with the way I dressed or wore my makeup, but, that night wasn't a usual night.

I was made to wear a pitch-black evening gown that touched the floor. It had long sleeves and a deep neck. I was made to wear gold jewellery and black ankle-length heels. My makeup was done more dramatically and elegantly.

It was the night all my friends were going to get the Dark Mark.

None of my friends or family wanted me to be present at the venue, but I was too stubborn to change my mind about being there. Since I was not getting the Dark Mark, the least I could do was be there for my friends who were.

I took a deep breath as we walked in through the huge doors of the Malfoy Manor. Every Death Eater was present and bowing down to my family as we passed them. It was then I realised I was powerful even in a group of people that literally kill those who disagreed with them.

I walked to the Drawing Room with my aunt and father by my side. I saw my friends sitting in their assigned seats. They were scared but were putting up a strong face, as instructed.

I stood behind Malfoy's chair. Daphne was standing behind Theo, who was sitting next to Malfoy. Pansy was on the other side of Malfoy and Blaise- who had volunteered- was on the other side of Theo. Crabbe and Goyle were sitting next to Pansy.

The Hall filled with people in black reeked of nervousness, fear and misery.

I put my hand on Malfoy's shoulder in a show of support and comfort. He turned around and I welcomed him with a smile. I had to be strong if I wanted to support the boy.

Suddenly, the room fell into a state of complete darkness. An abrupt gust of wind blew out all the candles and burst all the lightbulbs in the Hall.

It was then that I saw him.

Everyone instinctively straightened up at the sight of the snake-like man.

The Hall had felt vile the moment I had stepped in, but when he came through, it just felt dark and evil. It was as though the world had been rid of purity or joy. I knew why people were so afraid of him. I couldn't even look in his direction.

Grown wizards had been known to cry or faint when they got their Dark Mark. My friends had now proven to be fearless and unconquerable. They merely flinched when they were marked. Malfoy didn't even do that.

I turned away when I heard the sizzle on Malfoy's hand- he was the first to receive his mark- and did not look back until Goyle had received his- he was the last to get his mark.

Since I couldn't give him a hug, I tightened my grip on Malfoy's shoulder. I needed him to know I was there for him.

Voldemort seemed to notice my actions and turned to me. I kept my eyes focused on the back of Malfoy's head, even though I knew the snake-like man was staring at me.

He then swiftly apparated away and the lights in the room were slightly less dark.

All of us excused ourselves and rushed to Malfoy's room. Once we'd locked it shut and put a silencing charm, Pansy burst into tears. "It burns, Cassie. Oh, it burns," she cried as I hugged her.

I felt so powerless. My friends and family were hurt and I could do absolutely nothing to help them. I never wanted to feel that way. So weak. So useless.

I quickly took out the bottles of pain-reducing potions I had brewed the night before and gave them to everyone. I saw Malfoy deny his bottle and thought of dealing with him later.

Soon, everyone was tired and taken home by their parents. Even though the pain-reducing potions did not work, the drowsy potion did.

After saying goodbye to Nora and Blaise, I walked back up to Malfoy's room. I knocked softly before entering. I saw him sitting on the edge of the bed, staring into nothingness. After locking the door shut, I sat next to him.

My gaze fell on his scar. I could tell he had tried to hide it behind the sleeves of his suit.

I slowly began reaching for his arm. At first, he pulled away, but soon, stopped struggling and gave in. I pulled his sleeve up, slowly and gently, trying not to hurt him more than he had been.

And there it sat, slithering on Malfoy's arm, draining the life out of him.

I could sense him about to cry. I pulled him in and engulfed him in a tight embrace. My right hand supported his head while my left traced circles on his back. "It's okay," I whispered when I felt a tear fall on my shoulder. "I'm here"

More tears followed and Malfoy let out a loud cry. I could bear the sight of the boy crying in an amount of pain I couldn't even imagine.

He fell asleep after I slipped him some drowsing potion, but I thought it best to stay with him all night, just in case.

A/N

Happy New Year!!