Chapter 29

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ²⁹⁻ "ᵂᵉ'ᵛᵉ ᵈᵒⁿᵉ ᵒᵘʳ ᶠᵃⁱʳ ˢʰᵃʳᵉ ᵒᶠ ᶜʰᵃʳⁱᵗʸ ᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉ ᴳʳᵉᵉⁿᵍʳᵃˢˢ ᴳᵃˡᵃ"

"I beg your pardon?" I yelped on hearing something I didn't expect in a million years. "Sirius bloody Black? The runaway criminal?"

"He is not a criminal," my aunt corrected as though out of habit. "Never was and never will be"

I sat back down and gathered myself. I realised I'd obviously upset her with that statement. I apologised to her. What I said was wrong and anyone would be upset if someone called their former love a criminal.

"What, uh, what happened?"

My aunt snapped from her trance and got up. "That's a story for next time," she gave me an apologetic smile. "I just came here to tell you we have to go to a quidditch match tomorrow"

"No!" I groaned in frustration. "No! No! No! No! Merlin, please no!"

She chuckled at my action and told me it was just us and the Malfoys, setting my mind at ease.

--

When my aunt said quidditch match, I did not know she meant the Quidditch World Cup. She never was one for sports and never wasted an opportunity to show that.

For instance, she made me wear an all-white outfit to a quidditch game. Granted, I looked beautiful because of the outfit's excessive elegance. But an all-white pantsuit to a quidditch game seemed too much.

Everyone had been weird since the minute my family had met up with the Malfoys. Lucius and my father exchanged glances amongst each other, Narcissa and my aunt were murmuring amongst themselves and smiling looking at Malfoy and me.

But Malfoy had been especially strange. He wouldn't look at me and seemed like he was about to say something but hesitated. He'd been restless and seemed panicky. He was constantly fidgeting with the jacket of his crisp black suit.

"Blimey, dad. How far up are we?" The voice of the infamous Ronal Weasley was heard while we were making our way to the Minister's box.

Lucius' snake-like grin grew wide on hearing the voice of the redhead. Instead of simply minding their own business, my father, Lucius and Draco walked closer to the voice.

"Well, put it this way," Lucius began. "If it rains, you'll be the first to know"

I didn't want to but a chuckle escaped my lips. I looked down to the ground to hide the smile spread across my face.

How did these men manage to come up with such poetic insults? How did they think so quickly when it came to insulting someone?

"We are in the Minister's box," Malfoy joined in on the slandering and boasting. "By personal invitation of Cornelius Fudge himself"

I made eye contact with Potter, who had a confused but disappointed look which was clearly aimed at me. I ignored the pity I was receiving, took a deep breath and held my head up high- just like the protégé of Lillian Ambers I was.

"Don't boast, Draco," Narcissa stated but the smile on her face was unmissable.

My father scoffed. "There's no need with these people"

My aunt lightly slapped my father as she shook her head. "Let's go, we don't want to waste our time chatting with benevolent folk and miss a good game, now do we?"

I heard Narcissa laugh. "You are quite right Lily. We've done our fair share of charity at the Greengrass Gala"

I looked down to the ground once again in a desperate attempt to try and not show the amused smile spread across my face.

I felt a hand on my lower back dragging me away from Weasley and family and towards the Minister's box. I turned to see it was Malfoy who was escorting me.

I felt a strange tingle pass through my body. That feeling of a touch on my back, made my breath hitch in my throat. His touch.

I gulped nervously, trying to ignore these new sensations I was feeling in my body.

Once we got into our seats, Malfoy's hand was off my lower back. I let out a sigh of relief but weirdly, I did not want that feeling to go away.

My body longed for that touch- and more- from that boy. The boy who was going to get married to someone else. The boy I had known my entire life and hated until much recently.

I tried shaking off my thoughts and focusing on the game going on in front of me, but I just couldn't. His sitting right next to me didn't help either.

The match ended when the Bulgarian seeker, Victor Krum, caught the snitch. However, despite him catching it, the Ireland team won the match.

After the match, all of the adults seemed overly hasty to leave.

My aunt always told me, that no matter is important enough for a lady to run. From the looks of it, she sure was ignoring her own advice.

In a matter of seconds, we were back in our luxurious tent, packing our bags to go back. My aunt held my hand and apparated us, Narcissa and Malfoy to the Malfoy Manor.

"Where's father and Lucius?" I asked when we reached somewhere other than the field. I soon realised that this wasn't my house either. "And why are we at the Malfoy Manor?"

Malfoy seemed confused too but wasn't panicking as much as I was. My aunt and Narcissa exchanged glances.

"Arnold and Lucius have some important things to take care of and we will be staying here for the night because our house is a mess with all of your letters and gifts," my aunt answered, smiling.

Something was definitely up but, it wasn't the only odd thing to have taken place that evening.

The next day at breakfast I read about the events that took place after we left the Quidditch World Cup. "Do you think-"

I glanced at Malfoy who looked not-so-calm. "I don't know"