Chapter 32

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ³²⁻ "ᴼʰ, ᵈᵃʳˡⁱⁿᵍ. ᴳᵒ ᵇᵘʸ ᵃ ᵇʳᵃⁱⁿ"

For the champion selection, all of us had gathered in the Great Hall. Everybody knew Victor Krum would be selected, what we were interested in was who would be selected from Hogwarts since nobody knew anyone from Beauxbatons.

After dramatically dimming the lights in the Hall, Dumbledore pulled out the first name from the Goblet of Fire.

As expected, the champion selected from Durmstrang was Victor Krum. Everyone clapped for the boy.

The next person to be selected was Fleur Delacour from Beauxbatons. Everyone clapped for the tall girl as she walked up to stand next to Krum.

Everyone hushed down for the moment we were waiting for. "The Hogwarts champion is," Dumbledore spoke. "Cedric Diggory."

The entire Hall burst into cheers for the Hufflepuff as he oh-so charmingly walked up to Dumbledore flashing his sweet smile.

While Dumbledore was giving his usual long speech about honour and glory, the goblet released another piece of parchment. Dumbledore caught it and read it astonishingly. "Harry Potter?"

Everyone gasped at Dumbledore's words. They glared at Potter as he sheepishly walked to the rest of the selected champions. Not just students, but professors seemed annoyed at this development as well.

However, I did not find it that fascinating. Upsetting, but not fascinating.

Ever since he was born, he had always been involved in every dispute that had taken place. He was born to be the centre of attention, even if he did not want it or like it.

--

For the next couple of days, all Malfoy could talk about was the death trap of a tournament and Potter. He would keep on complaining and my friends and I would keep on listening. Unfortunately, there was no quidditch to help clear our minds either.

Everyone else in the school wasn't happy about it either. Everyone including Potter's precious friends.

That was it about all the other houses, they just did not care about their own. They did not have a code about protecting their close ones or being loyal.

Everyone wanted Potter when he was saving the day or while he was putting his life in danger but once, when he needed help, everyone backed away.

All of us were sitting in the schoolyard during a free period one afternoon. Daphne and Pansy were discussing Pansy's offers. All of the boys were sitting on a tree wearing the evil badges that said 'Potter stinks' while I was reading a book about Potions.

Just as things were going well, Potter happened to walk past us and he looked furious. I knew it was a bad idea to start something with him, but as usual, Malfoy did not leave a golden opportunity to harass the Gryffindor.

"Why so tense, Potter?" I heard Malfoy call out. "My father and I have a bet, you see. I don't think you're going to last ten minutes in this tournament," he smirked and everyone laughed dutifully.

He jumped down from the tree. "He disagrees," Malfoy continued as he walked towards Potter. All of the boys followed close behind. "He thinks you won't last five"

Everyone laughed at this but Potter seemed ticked off and was not in the mood to be teased.

He advanced toward Malfoy with clenched fists. "I don't give a damn what your father thinks, Malfoy," he gritted and pushed Malfoy. Luckily, Malfoy was too built to be pushed by Potter. "He's vile and cruel-"

Nobody gives Potter the right to talk about Lucius that way. And the level of his anger certainly does not justify his words or actions.

I got up and the girls followed my lead. "I would watch my tongue if I were you, Potter," I warned standing next to Malfoy.

Potter looked at me, surprised and disappointed. But I did not care what he felt, all I knew was he insulted my family.

"I would check the people I spend my time if I were you," the Gryffindor stated as he gave Malfoy a dirty look.

"Now, now, Potter. That is no way to talk to people above you," Blaise laughed stepping in front.

Pansy rolled her eyes and scanned her nails. "Oh, darling. Go buy a brain"

"He can't, Pans," Theo chimed in. "He's too poor"

I could see Potter trying to keep calm. He ignored what everyone said and turned to me. "Don't you see they're corrupting you, Cassie?" he pleaded.

Malfoy scoffed and stepped in front. He pushed Potter back making him lose his stance. "That's Ambers to you, you filthy little vagrant"

I could see Potter reach for his wand, but Malfoy beat him to it. Out of nowhere, professor weirdo came in front of Potter and hexed Malfoy before I could even blink.

Malfoy was nowhere to be seen after the spell had left the professor's wand. When I looked down, I saw a little ferret on the ground.

The moron of a professor had turned a student into an animal. On school grounds! And that student was Draco Malfoy.

It was as if the professor had a death wish.

Everyone was laughing at Malfoy, and I made a mental note of every single student who was laughing.

McGonagall came to the scene and transfigured Malfoy back into his human body. Blaise and I helped him up as McGonagall chastised Moody. I dragged Malfoy out of there and all of my friends followed close behind.

That entire day was spent planning and executing revenge on all the students that had the nerve to laugh at Malfoy. I tried to think about how to deal with Moody as well.

--

That night, Malfoy and I were the last ones left in the common room. After dinner, all of us sat in the common room and chatted.

Blaise and Theo were too busy because of all the fighting they did that day. Crabbe and Goyle could never stay up for long after dinner. Pansy and Daphne said they needed their beauty sleep.

"Are you okay?" I spoke first after the long silence between Malfoy and me. "After the whole ferret incident," I whispered, trying not to let everyone hear.

Malfoy scoffed and nodded. "Just one year," he exclaimed. "One year when Potter isn't the centre of attention," he gritted loudly.

When asked to quiet down a bit, he let out an exhale. His body language became more relaxed as he fell further into the couch.

The both of us were sitting on the couch, next to each other. The fireplace opposite us and books in our hands. I let my head fall behind and closed my eyes.

"You really shouldn't be that jealous of Potter," I spoke up, my eyes still closed and my head resting on the couch. "There isn't much to him"

"Besides," I got up from the couch. "All of us like you better," I smiled beginning to walk away. "At least I do"