Chapter 47

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ⁴⁷⁻ "ᵂʰᵃᵗ ᵈⁱᵈ ʸᵒᵘ ᵈᵒ?"

The rest of the summer flit by quickly. Since most of the events were either cancelled or postponed due to the upcoming war, all we did anymore was sit around the house and attend pureblood parties.

Such parties were important for the Death Eaters to meet. Now that the Ministry was tracking their every move, they and everyone around them had to be careful.

I had minimised contact with everyone except my aunt and Theo. My aunt because I needed to know who was responsible for the scar she had and Theo because the two of us were thinking of ways to keep everyone safe.

I met many people at the pureblood events and while the Death Eaters did their job, I did mine. While they made plans of their own and recruited people, I made plans of my own and recruited people I knew I could trust.

Some of the people who I had successfully recruited were Marcus Flint, my former captain Cassius Warrington, Adrian Pucey and obviously, all of my friends.

Everyone looked awful. They had bruises and scars all over their faces. Those were only the visible injuries. They were clearly drained and stressed and scared.

--

"When are we going to tell them about it?" Theo whispered, making sure none of our friends heard us. We had not told anyone about our plan yet, I had advised him against telling even Draco.

"When it is complete. We need to think of everything that could go wrong and make sure we've figured out a solution for each and every situation," I whispered back the same answer I'd been telling him all summer.

"What are you two whispering about, over there?" Blaise's voice made us jump.

I let out a small laugh. "Nothing. Where's Pansy? I haven't seen her all summer," I tried to change the topic.

Suddenly the entire compartment went dark. A cloud of black smoke spread across the entire thing, making people panic. Just a moment later, the smoke just disappeared into thin air.

Something was wrong.

"What was all that about?" Daphne furrowed her eyebrows, dusting off her clothes.

Crabbe rolled his eyes. "Probably some idiot messing up his spell. I'll go check-"

I stopped the boy. "Never mind. Probably an accident anyway, right?" I smiled as I pointed at his seat, indicating for him to sit back down. Everyone realised something was wrong and were now on alert. "Where was I? Ah, yes, Pansy. Where is she?"

"She hasn't spoken to me either," Daphne answered, acting normal as she discreetly looked around the cabin to see what was wrong.

I saw a bag shift out of its place in the baggage compartment above us. I quietly elbowed Blaise and kicked Malfoy, grabbing their attention, and subtly pointed to the bag above us. They nodded in understanding and passed on the message.

For the rest of the journey, we were incredibly cautious of the things we said and the things we did. We knew something was wrong and were not planning on making a mistake.

Malfoy instructed all of us to leave when we reached Hogsmeade station. I was not going to move. I wanted to see what Malfoy was about to do, but Daphne pulled me away.

I turned back and saw Malfoy had closed the curtains of the compartment and locked the door shut. Merlin, what is he up to now? I pondered over the question all the way up to the Great Hall.

--

Malfoy came back just in time for Dumbledore's speech and took a seat beside me. I saw Potter walk in after Malfoy with blood dripping from his face.

I turned to Malfoy. "What did you do?" Malfoy pretended to not hear me and in turn, did not answer my question. I scoffed and turned to face Dumbledore.

After introducing the new potions professor, Dumbledore announced that Severus was now the new DADA professor. The absence of cheers from the other houses was filled by the Slytherins.

We did not stop clapping despite the disapproving and slightly embarrassed look Severus was giving us.

The man then went on and on about Voldemort's return and power and greatness. None of the Slytherins were having it.

"The greatest weapon, is you?" Blaise mocked. "Someone needs to inform the poor sod that this is not one hundred years ago and much stronger weapons have been created"

Daphne scoffed. "Yeah, like Harry Potter. Dumbledore's one true love"

"Is it not embarrassing for Dumbledore that his sixteen-year-old student saves his precious Hogwarts every single year?" Theo scrunched his eyebrows.

"Please Theo," I rolled my eyes. "I thought you were supposed to be the smart one"

All of us laughed at her comment while the old man went on and on with his never-ending speech. Once in a while, Blaise would pretend to fall asleep or Goyle would pretend to snore. Malfoy remained eerily quiet during all of this.