Chapter 48

ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ⁴⁸⁻ "ᴵ ᶜᵃʳᵉ ᵃᵇᵒᵘᵗ ʸᵒᵘ ᵃⁿᵈ ᴵ ᶜᵃⁿⁿᵒᵗ ᵇᵉᵃʳ ᵗᵒ ˢᵉᵉ ʸᵒᵘ ˡⁱᵏᵉ ᵗʰⁱˢ"

I was a Slytherin prefect that year and the Slytherin Quidditch Captain. I replaced Malfoy in both posts. As prefect, I was supposed to escort the first-years to the dormitory. However, Theo was also a prefect and we were absolutely going to exploit our positions.

After giving the first-years a brief tour and sending them to the dormitory, Theo and I thought of taking a walk around the hallways.

"I noticed you haven't been talking to Malfoy a lot," the Nott boy spoke up.

"I'd prefer if we didn't talk," I rolled my eyes, making him scoff.

"Cassie," I heard my name being called. I rolled my eyes at the sound of that voice.

"What language do you understand, you lunatic?" I exhaled in annoyance. "What part of 'speak to me again, I will kill you' was incomprehensible?"

He gulped and I am very sure he did not know what incomprehensible meant. "It's important"

I groaned and began to walk away.

"Your aunt," Potter called out. "She saved us that day"

I turned around, not believing my ears. "What?"

He hesitated before speaking. "The day Voldemort attacked; your aunt saved us. Bellatrix was about to kill him but I know I saw your aunt save him"

"Who?"

"Sirius"

--

At Potions the next morning, the professor told us whoever brews an acceptable Draught of the Living Dead, would be awarded a vile of Liquid Luck.

Malfoy was the most alive I'd seen him in the past few days while making the potion. Since I'd read Potions books my entire life, I did not think brewing Draught of the Living Dead would be a difficult task for me.

In fact, I did not even need the textbook since I knew a few tricks Severus had taught me.

While everyone was busy being incompetent, I was making the potion with ease. I saw Granger lose her mind when she could not get the potion right. It was incredibly entertaining.

"Done Professor," Potter and I called out at the same time. Everyone turned to him in disbelief.

Slughorn laughed. "Well," he began walking towards me. "Since Miss Ambers is closer to me, let's check hers first, shall we?"

He dropped a leaf in my cauldron and as expected, the potion was perfect—just one of the perks of having Severus Snape as your godfather.

He then checked Potter's. I was prepared to laugh at his hilariously bad attempt at the potion. But to everyone's surprise, his potion was perfect too.

"Well," the professor laughed uncomfortably. He'd clearly not expected two perfect potions. But then again, nobody did. "I think you will just have to share it now, won't you?"

How in Merlin's name did it come to this? I wondered. I had to share my hard-earned prizes. And with Potter?

--

That night at dinner, I could finally connect all the pieces.

My aunt must've followed Bellatrix or someone else to their mission, in fear of something bad happening to her precious Sirius Black.

She must've hurt herself while saving him or escaping.

To avoid questions, she must've hidden her scars.

It was so obvious.

I got up from my place and began to sprint towards my room. I needed to write to my aunt. I needed to see if that was what had happened.

Because if it was, then it meant I had another ally. It also meant Potter needed to be kept quiet.

I bumped into Malfoy on the way. I hadn't seen him since our talk that night because I thought that was what he wanted.

To say he looked horrid would be an understatement. I had no idea how I was going to manage to get him back to normal after all this way over.

"Is everything okay?" was all I could say. I needed him to let me help him do whatever he was assigned to do.

He hesitantly nodded his head. I couldn't help but take a step closer to him. "Malfoy." I placed my hand on his cheek. "Please let me help you. It's not a favour. I care about you and I cannot bear to see you like this"

He didn't say anything but just closed his eyes and embraced my touch.

"Please," I whispered, getting closer to him. "Just let me help you. What is your mission?"

"I have to kill someone, Cassie," his voice came out soft and tired. It broke my heart to see him so lifeless.

"Who?"

"Dumbledore"