Chapter 1

Oh, the future we dreamed of is fading to black

Ria never really cared much about the Illyrians and their customs even if she had their kind' wings. Sleek black wings with hues of green scattered here and there. She had once complained how it was unfair that Rhys had gotten pretty purple hues while she was stuck with dull olive. But, that had been ages ago when she had merely started to understand how the world worked.

Now though, it was different. As she grew up her ideologies formed and evolved, her opinions became firmer and her love for her wings and her family grew- even towards her father. Love for her had never been simple- as it had been for Rhys. For her it was a tornado of seasons. She loved her father for providing for her and her education. For teaching her the way of the world so she never was left dumb. But, there were so many times she had seen her mother cry because of her father- her mate, had seen Rhys grow angry at something he had said and then, there was the shouting. So much loud noise that she often had to cover up her ears and scream soundlessly. The whispers soon followed those shouts and somehow they were much worse. The silence of it all after such a blast was overwhelming. She always wished to run away then. But then her family tied her down. Her mother. Her brother. Her father. Her friends. She counted them in the stars till she was able to breathe again. There would be no flying for her anytime soon. Not ever in the near horizon.

At present, she stood impatiently, waiting for her mother to come. They were supposed to visit Rhysand and his friends- Azriel and Cassian. She had dressed in layers due to this- the males at the camp, as she had experienced, seen and been told- were no less than barbarians. It was with some great blessing that Rhys had found few Illyrians who were not like that. The layers did not irritate her, though flying in them was a bit of hassle. Her father- Cronan had gone to Day for some business and no sooner had he left than her mother had decided to leave too to visit her son. And since Ria had nothing better to do....

"Alright, let's go," her mother said, coming into view. Years later, and she still looked beautiful and ageless. As a proper Lady of Night, Ria supposed. Together they went through the clouds and into the sky, laughing and joking around like friends. Their bond had grown stronger after Rhys had been left in the camps- an Illyrian tradition her mother had said. "Do you think Rhysand or his friends will help train me in archery?" Ria asked her mother. "I don't think anyone of them are skilled in that particular way of fighting." Her mother replied. Ria's face turned into a frown. Archery seemed so cool to her; shame no one could teach her though.

They were almost there- near the waterfall where Rhys would meet them- when the first arrow struck. Right into the middle of her mother's back- between her wings. She let out a scream. Ria slowed down instinctively, trying to get near to her mother when one of the arrows struck her arm. She snarled, readying her powers she rarely used. Five more arrows. Her mother fell down. With a scream, tears now forming streaks on her face, she went down towards where her fallen figure lay.

Already her magic was forming a layer of protection near her mother and by the time she touched the ground, the white dome around them flickered and gleamed. The arrows were still coming though the source was not yet in her eyesight. She tried contacting Rhys then- maybe he could hear her.

But, she was no daemati and Rhys was busy and had forgotten about them.

And so, Rhys did not reply. And Ria could do nothing but snarl and whimper as the sentries of Spring Court surrounded her dome with Tamlin and his father right in front of her, the latter smirking while the former kept shifting on his feet.

"Why?" Ria asked once the arrows had stopped and her hand was coated in her mother's blood. "Because," Bron mused. Ria snarled, making him laugh. He would give her no information and show her no mercy; Ria concluded. So, she turned towards Tamlin, her eyes pleading. But, he didn't meet her eyes. "Tamlin," she shouted and pleaded but to no avail. The dome still protected them though. Praying to the Mother, she turned her eyes to where her mother lay. "love.... You," her lips formed the barely spoken words as her eyes closed. "Wake up," Ria sobbed. Her eyes had closed. "WAKE UP!" Ria pleaded; pleaded even after she saw the life leave her mother' body as her chest stopped moving. "No, no, no, no!" she sobbed, not caring about those who watched her with those pitiless eyes. "What have I ever done to you?" she screamed at the Spring court people.

"You have not, but your father has." "Then deal with him like a High Lord, you coward," she snarled, the tears burning her eyes. Bron snarled and within a few moments, he broke her barrier. Her dome. Her protection. Ria was too spent, too weak to fight back as Bron snatched her mother's body from her hands and made her stand with his grip tight on her shirt's collar. "You have grown to be quite an outspoken female," he mused. "Bite me," she replied with venom in her voice. Bron only laughed cruelly before letting go of her and turning to where her mother lay crumpled.

"Tamlin, please," she tried. But those green eyes never met hers. "You traitor," she sobbed, "you were supposed to be his friend. You coward. You-" A slap and a sting. "You coward asshole. You fucking-" Another. And another till her face was red and her abdomen ached. "Go.. to.. hell," she said, spitting blood at the soldier' feet who had kicked her.

"Stop," Tamlin finally commanded. "I will take care of her," he said and the guards dispersed. The future High Lord of Spring came forward. "My father will have your head for this, you stupid male," she laughed. "We will see about that," he muttered. Ria tore her gaze from him to where her mother lay beside whom Bron stood with an axe over her. Her eyes widened and she struggled to get up. She couldn't get up fully, so, she started to limp and crawl her way towards her mother, readying what she guessed would be her last blast of power. Tamlin came and held her when she was inches from her mother. She whimpered. "Watch," Bron said. And as he bought down the axe, Ria could do nothing against the tight grip that held her. Instinct flared in her and she winced, closing her eyes. A thud. And silence. She did not open her eyes. Someone was dragging something but the grip on her arms was always there so she did not open her eyes.

"Do you not want to see the gift we are about to send to your brother?" Bron asked. She peeked- and her heart stopped and her stomach lurched. Transfixed by the sight of the box with the head, she readied her last blow. And then threw it right at Bron. Hitting him in the chest. Tamlin forced her to get up and made her back away as a few soldiers went to Bron's aid. Her eyes were again fixated on her Mother's beautiful face and she became oblivious to everything around her. 

"Mother hold you. 

Pass through the gates, and smell that immortal land of milk and honey. 

Fear no evil. Feel no pain. 

Go, and enter eternity."

She never got the chance to lift her eyes.

Black abyss greeted her.

Mother hold me