Chapter 39

I spy

Azriel was itching as he stood near her border, waiting. Ria had sent him a letter, or rather, both him and Rhysand commending them at their absolute shit jobs at remaining covert. Three of his spies, who he had sent to find a footing about Dusk had been silent for the past week. Only today morning, they had received a letter from Ria demanding that the Spymaster come and retrieve his friends from Dusk. His fingers itched again.

Your friends seemed to have lost their way and ended up in my court. Come and fetch them, Spymaster. Or their cries will be very shrill.

Cassian hadn't been wrong- Ria had changed. Or maybe they had forgotten all her aspects.

It had been quite few days after Rhys... recovery when Rowan had barged into her chambers, claiming that Night were bastards and two-faced liars. Startled, she had quickly gotten up from the couch, donned on her coat, asking him to explain it in a manner that was more concise. "Three spies were caught today morning with the insignia of Night Court." Ria took in a deep breath, "where were they found?" At this, Rowan' eyes thundered, "near the mountains. A few miles away from Aria's mother' place."

Ria closed her eyes, trying to channel the growing anger into something more efficient. "Take me to them." Rowan nodded before hesitating, "do you need to change?" Ria stopped momentarily, looking down. She was wearing her night clothes with only a coat on top. And her hair was a bird's nest. "I might."

While she changed, she contacted Kayden over the daemati channel he had formed between them. It was almost always open. Kayden? She tried now. Yes, my High Lady. Although they were not even three words in, he started trying to flirt. She hid her smile; even from herself as she said, Rowan found spies from Night. I need you to come to the cells with a letter. I need to write to the Spymaster of their court. She felt his anger and annoyance. Of course, my Lady.

The letter had been sent. And the spies moved to different cells. Two males and one female. The male was ragged already by the time she had made her way to the cells underground. "What exactly were you hoping to find?" she asked him, a small knife twirling in her hand. But the male kept silent. Rowan was interrogating one of the females. "Let's play a game, shall we?" she said. "Each time you do not answer, I will cut a finger off one of your companions. So that's what? Twenty chances? Plenty for me to enjoy." This time, the male did react. Grunting, he tried to make his way out of the ropes but Rowan had tied them and it was secure as ever.

Ria waved her hand and a glamour appeared of one of the female, tied in a chair, hood over her head since Ria was unfamiliar with her face to reenact it with detail. "What were you prying about for?" The male grunted. Ria sighed, and it one strike, glamoured off a finger the exact time her knife touch the hand. It looked quite real with blood now pooling around. A shriek sounded and the male shouted, "you maniac!" "Nine more fingers to go on this one," is all she replied with, her fangs gleaming.

She was about to go for a second when Kayden's voice interrupted her. He is here. Well then, Ria thought, putting the knife back in its sheath, and picking up a blindfold. "I am going to give you some time to think now. Choose carefully- information or her life." And when the blindfold was in place, hiding the male's glare, she snapped the glamour off and winnowed to the border, Rowan in tow.

Azriel stood there, shifting on his feet with five of her soldiers marking his place with arrows. Even one sudden movement and Ria doubted he would leave unscathed. "Your spies are alive," Ria informed him. "But I suggest you start talking." His expression was stone-cold. "Despite what Rhysand believes, I do not trust you completely." Ria tilted her head sideway, "is that why they were staking the mountains. Which by the way, were the wrong ones." His jaw clenched, "those creatures are a myth. And have been known to be hostile." Ria snorted, "and so have every other creature on this land. We are all primal at root, Spymaster, so pray, tell me, why should I spare them?"

It took him some time to say what he did next, "please. It was a mistake; it won't happen again. You cannot blame us though, not after you came to Hewn and stole two artifacts." Kayden hissed this time, "it was never yours to begin with, Shadowsinger." Azriel did not reply.

Ria sighed; she had hoped at least he would forgive her but he had gone two step backwards instead. "You or anyone else from your court will not send spies to our court again. And if you do, we will have complete right to do whatever we wish to." Jaw-clenched, he only nodded. A deal formed- and a small knife tattoo-ed itself on her right arm.

Ria gave Rowan the nod then. He winnowed and came back within moments, the three spies in tow, all blind-folded. "Tell Rhysand that we look forward to a gesture that our alliance will not be shaken by such.. hassles." Darkening into his shadows by the second, Az dip his head and exited with his protegees in tow.

Time passed by since then. Rhys sent back an official treaty which after a few twerks by her, became as perfect as it could get for both the parties of interest. Helion kept sending her herbal remedies for her back which she heartily thanked him for and Cassian would come fly near their border before leaving again. She did not let it show, but the cold embrace of her family had been quite a stab wound to her heart.

It was fine though, at least that's what she kept telling herself. Presently, she let out a puff as the dummy she had chosen to practice on almost tore off her skin, her knuckles already red. "Woah," came a voice from behind just as she hit the dummy with all her strength left- which wasn't much. "What did it ever do to you?" Stopping momentarily, she turned around. "I was imagining it to be you." The amusement widened as he said, "is it because I interrupted a hearty evening between you and an Autumn lord?"

She growled; now she was thinking about that. "Kayden... what do you want?" He sighed, "your stamp. The letters to be sent to Dawn and Winter are ready by Kali. She wants you to proofread it too." Ria nodded, "give me an hour."

Later, after she read the letters and went ahead to stamp it, her mind couldn't help but go to the fire that was lit in the room, burning orange embers. Dancing in the darkness, distracting her from her work. She growled in frustration; Eris had been silent for the past two weeks and it did not bode well with her. Especially not after there had been an attack on Velaris and Feyre had been taken back to Spring by Tamlin. The poor High Lord probably thought he had rescued her.

He had been silent since their near kiss was caught by Kayden when he had visited for their weekly tea.

"Expect disappointment and you will not be disappointed," he said, flicking through the latest pages of the book she had recommended to him. Ria sighed, "then I might as well be a cold-hearted or a numb female."

Eris, taking a break from the pages, looked at her. She shifted, not liking the way he assessed her completely. Slowly, he said, "Your brother is a two-sided Fae. And the Spymaster is a fool." He leaned forward, "do not spend time on the likes of them. You are too precious for that."

She blinked; he was so close. Memories of another life, when she was merely a Princess and he still navigating the waters of Autumn came to the forefront of her mind. Spare bedrooms. Quick escape. Secret hideaways. His long hair and quick smirk. His hearty chuckle and taunts that boiled her blood. Softer moments of friendship too- somethings always remained the same. But how long had it been since she had been with someone- even casually? Friends with benefits? She gulped. A long, long time.

"Ria, are you feeling alright?" His pupils were dilated and his voice whispering. "No thanks to you," she replied and enjoyed the way it made his face harden with determination even as he smirked, "we can change that." His whisper was so close to her ear. He was so close.

But then a twig snapped and the spell was broken.

Well, she thought, fuck him. In the sense that she would like him to- no, her thoughts scrambled. "Ria?" "What!" Startled, she blinked and found Amari closely inspecting her. "You looked like you were having an intense thought." Ria cleared her throat, "nothing like that. Just tired." Amari hummed, "right." "Is there anything you need?" "Oh, yes. I am here to deliver the letters."

Handing it over, Ria gave herself a good mental kick. What was she doing? She couldn't get all worked up about one kiss! Her and Eris were no longer attracted to each other like that. They were simply good friends. With only political and emotional benefits. Yes.

Yes? Yes

Updates are going to get a  bit slower :/