Chapter 20

I only see daylight

(enter Helion)

Sometimes, the allyship Rowan had discovered between Helion and Rhys helped. Sometimes, she wished he had been wrong in claiming that the meetings between those two had been only about forming a stronger bond than about plotting traps.

Sometimes being now.

She was standing in Helion' official chamber, with Kayden beside her. Rowan was invisible, his scent also covered up; his powers and years of training working for his favour now. Helion stood in front of her assessing her with the same scrutiny she was looking at him with.

This was the first time they were meeting after the tragic day when she had died. Kali had of course informed him about her being alive so to not shock their one of the two allies in Prythian. And Kali had of course been unable to come today- the first time Ria stepped foot in the Day court.

"You look more or less the same," he said and Ria had to keep herself from snorting. Had he expected scars and marks all over her? 

"As you have mentioned three times before since my arrival." She replied and felt Kayden' amusement in her mind, his daemati abilities in work.

"I don't know what I was expecting," he mused, "your wings and head are attached firmly to your body. And there is not even one scratch on your beautiful face."

"If this is your way to woo the Fae, I suggest you work on it."

He gave her a roughish smile, "I have not even begin, my lady." Ria groaned mentally. Gods help her.

I don't think they would want to. I have to admit, I am curious to see how this plays out. Kayden spoke in her mind. Prick, she replied before giving Helion one of her best smiles. No way I am going through this.

"Later. First, let's talk business." She left no room for debate. Helion only sighed, accepting her proposal.

"I came here with the hopes to renegotiate our deals." Ria started once they had settled down. Helion raised his brows. "Larger trade- our handicrafts and tea leaves for your spices. I also want an alliance," Ria said.

"This is more than just a renewal of our allyship, isn't it?" Helion mused, and Ria finally nodded a bit.

"Dusk might soon come to the horizon. It would be good to have a few people who know about us beforehand."

"You mean more than me?" he asked. "Yes." She did not care to give him more information than that.

His fingers grazed the wooden table as he took a moment to contemplate. "Rhysand is doing well, but he misses you every now and then." Helion said and Ria stiffened. Kayden opened his mouth to retort then, but Ria stopped him with a glance. Turning back to the High Lord, she asked, "your point?" "My point is that he is my friend. My point is that I will be happy to assist you when your court chooses to return- and see two siblings reunite."

Oh. "Thank you, Helion."

"Not so fast," he grinned. Ria rose her eyebrow- something Kayden was envious he could not achieve no matter how hard he tried. Helion rose from his seat, sauntering to the window from where all of the Day' mountains were laid bare to be seen.

"You wish to add a clause?" Kayden spoke, hands in his pocket. Helion shook his head, "I want to see your abilities. Rhysand once spoke about it to me in a drunken stupor. I searched about it the next day but, I am curious to see it in real life."

"That's it?" Ria asked, suspicious of just how easy a thing he was asking of her.

"Yes," Helion replied, "and I wish a small artifact from the Night Court."

"No," Kayden declared before Helion had even finished his sentence of where the artifact was kept. Court of goddamn Nightmares. Of course. Rowan disapproval came to her through the three-way daemati channel Kayden had opened, but Ria ignored it.

"Why do you want it?" Ria asked, her head titled to the side.

"That object once belonged to me. It was a gift from my mother' powers that was lost in the War ages ago. I wish for it now again."

"Ask your ally and friend in Rhys," Ria said, and he gave her a pointed look. They both knew he wouldn't give it back so easily. Yes, they were friends but The Blinding was a powerful creation which her father had stolen from Hybern ages ago. Obvious to its name, it was filled with pure sunrays, meant to blind.

"Your brother is my friend, but, he would never use an artifact that powerful and would keep it from those who dared tried." Kayden scoffed, "and you would need to try it because?"

Helion sighed loudly, "it rightfully is mine. And only because of that I want it. It is meant for me and my heir. I have a feeling that this peace is only going to last so long. And the Blinding is kept under wraps and spells that are bound by power and blood, Ria."

"I will get it but only if you promise to never use it on Dusk or Night Court, in any way or form."

"It is a bargain."

And Ria would get it. She would, but not soon. After all, she had never specified when.

Rowan came back, cursing his luck.

"What happened?" Ria asked, quickly getting up from her seat. Aria got up too, her eyes already fixed on the wound on his abdomen. "I am fine," he said, trying to ease the concern he found in the wyvern-trainer and healer. Still, Aria forced him to sit down where she had been resting a few moments ago.

"Fuck, Rowan, I told you to be careful," Ria scolded him, accompanied by a glare by Aria. Gods, he should have winnowed to Kayden instead. How was he to know Ria would be lounging with Aria in the Nirvana Valley today? Some spy.

His only thought after getting hurt had been to come see Aria. She always knew what to do; her skilful hands patching him in seconds with an endearing frown. She was always breath-taking.

"You need more than just your blood and magic. The ruling Fae of that area also must be present." He informed his future High Lady.

Aria tapped his shoulder, and he turned to her with a lazy smile on his face- something only she could get out from him. How did you find this out so quickly? Ria told me you just left yesterday. You work too much, too fast, is what Aria seemed to say in between the lines and Rowan understood. He always did.

"The male was easily frightened."

"Did you kill him?" Ria sighed. "He deserved it," Rowan shrugged.

No judgement was found on the faces of either of the two ladies. Death of any were never taken lightly by them, especially Rowan. And so, if he said he deserved it, that male must have done something more than just been an unlucky male with a big mouth.

"Rest," Ria said after a few moments of silence where Aria had put bandages around his now naked torso. Rowan opened his mouth to protest- he needed something to do. "Don't you fight me on this, Rowan Sage. You have been working non-stop for the past one month. Your apartment smells like rotten junk, there are bags underneath your eyes, and you need to take a step back and think."

It was either his imagination or her eyes went toward Aria for the briefest of moments. Fuck. She knew.

I'll admit... the first half of this chapter is not my best , yet,

happy reading :)