Chapter 37

Tip-toeing 

After that utter disaster and disappointment which had been Night Court, Ria had come back in Dusk to re-energize herself for the upcoming tasks.

Today, Kayden sat beside her, stroking her hair as he mummered the lines of the book. He had a soothing voice. "Its going to be a couple of exhausting months, isn't it?" Ria sighed. Kayden stopped mid-sentence to look at her, calmed and focused. "Yes," he said simply. "But we will face it together," he added softly. Ria smiled- tired. She was so fucking grateful for her friends.

Azriel was to be visiting today, along with Rhys. She had extended her invitation to Cassian but he hadn't sent any confirmation yet. Her hopes concerning him forgiving her were dwindling near nothing. They were standing on the border now. Kayden had her hands on her back. Turns out, losing her wings had some permanent consequences, such as becoming slightly limp and having back pains which lasted hours at times. Not that she complained- well, that was a lie. The employees at the palace could hear her wails and shouts at least once a week. They were a bit scared for her now, she thought. Nevertheless, she tried taking everything in stride.

A few soldiers stood behind her and Kayden- including Amari. Kali insisted on them. Ria stood impatiently, and nervous. "I hope he forgives me a little," Ria said. Kayden didn't reply, for there- winnowing a few steps ahead of her were her brother and Az. And behind them- she gave out a cry of delight- was Cassian. Grumbling, jaw-clenched but here nevertheless. And so, bracing herself, she went ahead to greet them.

Cassian hadn't wanted to come. He really hadn't but Rhys and Azriel had ganged up on him last night and had persisted well till the morning. And so, here he was standing as far apart from the scene as he could, trying to be apathetic. And failing easily. Azriel had warned him about wearing his emotions on his sleeve. Fuck him, Cass gritted his teeth, as he watched his brother give Kayden a small acknowledgement while Rhys hugged his sister. He had been particularly restless ever since Ria had made herself known and gone back- all within two weeks' time.

"Cass," Ria turned to him, making him shift on his feet. "Ria," he somehow managed to say without spilling just how much she had hurt him. She nodded, even with the scowl that he knew decorated his face, and said, ever an elegant host, "welcome to my court. I am glad you accepted my invite." What choice did he have? "Thank you," he said instead, his voice strained. He did not think of himself as a cruel male. Nor did he think he was someone who would be purposefully rude and gloomy if he could help it. But Ria had hurt him- deeply. And it took time for that wound to heal.

When Rhys had first told them about her just three weeks ago, Cassian had laughed in pain, angry at his brother for saying such stupid, delusional things. But, Rhys hadn't been joking, he had found out minutes later when Ria had walked in with the Illyrian in tow. The same Illyrian now stood with a spear in her hand, beside her Lady, a few steps back, alert and cautious. He took her in while she narrowed her eyes. He had failed her. He let that sink in before turning back to the scene where Az was in a stare contest with Ria. She was the first to break it, clearing her throat while Kayden looked like he had landed on a gold mine. Stranger, Cass thought with a pang, Ria had become a stranger to him.

"Azriel," Ria said, "welcome to my court." He nodded once, his lips twitching upwards at her apparent nervousness. Nevertheless, she did not let it deter her. "We will head to the castle for lunch. After that, I will give you a small tour of some of the nearby places."

"Are the wyverns in the castle?" Azriel asked. Cass was surprised at how well his little brother seemed to be adjusting to all this. Among the three of them, he hated change the most. Ria shook her head, frowning, "wyverns like open spaces. And they like to fly," she smiled, "much like you Illyrians." Cass did not mention that she too was Illyrian- wings or not. But that would be truly cruel- a remembrance of a life she had lost.