Chapter 16

(new character entry)

Ria stood on the border that separated her court from Night. A minor disturbance had been felt that morning and although scouts had been sent to figure its cause, Ria couldn't shake the feeling that someone had trespassed into their land.

She passed a group of farmers, who all bowed when they saw her, a smile on their lips. She smiled back, automatically. It had been quite a few years since the people had accepted her. 50 years. And still, she was yet to be officially crowned the High Lady- something to do with the curse the witch had told them about. After the public inauguration, the witch had sat down with her and Kali, telling them about the lesser known part of history.

"Night started this and Night shall end it- by giving blood. Its descendants blood. A life for all the ones that were lost because of it."

So, in order to become the High Lady, she would have to either sacrifice herself or her brother. Or Morrigan. None of the options were viable, of course. They would simply have to come up with another one. Damn the Goddess who had put such a curse on Night and Dusk as her final laugh- Night will lose a child and Dusk will remain without a proper ruler till it got their sacrificial lamb from the same Court that had once nearly destroyed them.

Someone crashed into her. Taking a step back, she looked down to see a boy. She blinked, getting out of her thoughts. "Sorry, High Lady," a female said, panting. "He ran to meet you and I could not stop him. Old bones and what not."

Ria smiled, "it's alright." She looked down toward the boy who was staring at her. "Hello," she smiled at him. But his only reaction was to run toward the female and hide behind her. She laughed, "he is adorable. What is his name?" "Luca," the female smiled. "Well Luca, it was nice to meet you but I have to go now. Have a good day," and the nodding once toward the female, she left, feeling a bit lighter.

Ria did not know how long she had been standing there. She blinked and started moving forward. An Illyrian of all had found its way through their borders. The guard who had informed her of this had seemed just as startled as her.

"Where?" she demanded. "Near the South-Eastern border. You were right, Your Lady. She seems to be a trespasser and is heavily injured." "Healers?" Ria asked, as she offered the guard her hand. "On their way, but our guards are giving her first-aid." Ria nodded, winnowing them to the edge of their territory.

A sprawl of wing was all Ria could make out from the amount of people who had gathered. Thankfully, the area was a far distance from the last house in this area. The guards separated for her as she approached the circle.

"We had to subdue her, she was moving too much and the blood was being lost too fast." Ria nodded toward the healer. "She needs to be taken into intensive care; her wings are nearly shredded," the healer continued. Ria took a sharp inhale as she saw exactly what the healer meant.

An Illyrian female who could not be more than her age was unconscious on the ground. Her head was titled on side, and blood oozed from her back. Her wings were bent in an odd, twisted angle and her mouth was wide open, a purple eye decorating her right eye.

"Can we winnow her?" Ria asked whom she assumed was the main healer. "Give me a minute more. The first aid is nearly done, after that you can winnow her, but only directly to a healer who has more tools at their disposal," came the no-nonsense answer. Ria nodded, even though the healer was not facing her.

"Her wings?" "You will have to take her to a healer who specializes in them." Specialized in wyverns then.

Relieved that the girl would get better with some treatment, hopefully that is, Ria made her way toward the border. Kayden was already there, talking with the guards. He bowed as she approached, "Lady Ria," he greeted her. She dipped her head in response.