Chapter 38

Bruised

Tarquin was her next target. It was a bit after a few months from Feyre disrupting the Summer Court and earning blood rubies for herself, Rhys and Amren. Ria had nearly slapped Rhys when she had found out. His foolishness kept astounding him. Of course, he wouldn't tell her why he had needed to go to Summer and steal an artifact- or even what it was. He also wouldn't divulge upon what he was planning with the others and the human made fae female. Ria was sure that Rhys thought of this as his payback to her years and centuries of silence. She was also sure that Feyre meant something to him. And he didn't completely trust her- not when she was willingly allied with Eris. Morrigan wouldn't even look her in the eye without showing her disappointment. As if that mattered to her.

Cassian and Azriel were still very much not on talking terms with her. Az would only speak when it was necessary while Cass avoided her completely. She suspected they would have been more welcoming had she come back covered in bruises and broken. Shame. Even if it hurt like hell.

An attack had occurred on her brother a few days ago- she only knew this because of Rowan. But he was alright and his brothers were more than capable of handling the threat. So, she let it go. Instead, focusing on the task at hand.

Kayden stood beside her as they went over the letter he had drawn up. "You think he will meet us?" Ria asked, unsure. Kayden nodded, his hand absently going over hers in a soothing motion. Ria sighed which had him turning to her, "you took your medicine?" She flipped him off, "just tired, is all." He hummed, not entirely convinced.

The letter was sent. And Tarquin took three days to reply. It was short- and assertive. Ria had to give credit to the young High Lord- he seemed to have learnt his footing quite quickly. She suspected Feyre and her brother had given him the push. "What does it say?" Rowan asked.

Ria flipped the letter, studying the Summer insignia. "It says," she started, "that Summer will meet us." Whoops of joy. "That Tarquin was curious about me- the Fae who claims to be a kindred soul and a dead sister returning. That he will meet us on the outskirts of Adriata and that I am allowed to bring with myself one and only one assistant while he himself will do the same." "Think it's a trick?" Amari asked, sitting on a desk, legs crossed. Ria shook her head; Tarquin was better than that. And maybe deadlier.

After a heavy and loud discussion, it was decided that Kayden would accompany her to Summer. And Rowan would wait five miles away from them; Kayden would alarm him if anything went sideway.

Ria' hand rustled the fabric of her dress as she winnowed to the outskirts of her court. She would have to walk outside its border to winnow to other Courts. The barrier was in place even for her. Kayden, clad in comfortable clothes that hid quite a few weapons, whistled. "Ready?" This would be her first real try at allyship. She gave him a rue smile, "what do you think?" He chuckled, winnowing them away as soon as they had crossed their border shield.

They arrived near the outskirt to find Tarquin and another male already waiting. She let herself take them in and when she met Tarquin's eyes, she offered him a small head bow. The male too took his time to take her and Kayden in- his eyes mostly lingering on her glamourless self. He was tanned, Ria observed, and his white hair stood in contrast to his muscled skin. His eyes held a curious emotion. The other male- whom she assumed was Tarquin' trusted advisor was much the same- eyes that were brown and curious, white-hair falling over his shoulders and facial features that resembled a bit of his High Lord's. It was not uncommon to have family relations in high positions.

"Welcome to the Summer Court, Lady," Tarquin finally spoke, letting the sentence fade away into a question. Ria smiled, "apologies, your court is truly beautiful." Indeed, the cloudy skies with hues of colours and the crash of waves against the shore distantly were not lost upon her. "This is Kayden Hawthorne, my trusted advisor." Kayden gave them a small acknowledgement, otherwise standing straight. "And I, myself am Ria."