Chapter 8

I'll make this feel like home

Ria was still processing. Dusk-Bringer. Destiny. High Lady. Her mind was whirling. She had not said anything to Kali or Kayden when she had come out. All of their questions and concerns fell to deaf years and Kali soon concluded it was simply shock when all Ria did was shake her head, wide-eyed.

She couldn't believe her ancestors- how could they have been the cause of so much carnage and blood. How could they have betrayed the trust and use one of the most holy bonds considered by Fae as a weapon. No doubt it had been cunning and clever and effective but- not even her father would go to that extent. And that is when Ria realised one thing- her father though not the best or even close to good had still been better then his ancestors.

That he had still tried and broken a few bonds; she knew there had been no love lost between him and her grandparents whom she had never met. And that is how Ria knew for sure, how her fear and doubts that arose at the darkest of times of becoming like her father became almost invisible.

Children learnt and observed- and they would strive to be better for the next generation. Like her father had been for her. It wouldn't be a perfect instant change but slow and long.

Ria stopped, unseeing to her surroundings. Kayden bumped into her. "Can I ever see my father again?" she asked hoarsely. He shared a look with Kali, "we never told you what happened after that unfortunate day."

"Please," Ria begged, "no more." She hated the sympathy she found in their eyes. "Let me visit my family, I promise to not reveal anything about Dusk till the right time- till we and the world are ready. Please."

"Ria," Kayden sighed, sorrow lacing his tone. Anger flashed through her eyes, "you cannot keep me prisoner here." 

"And you are not," Kali' stern voice interfered. "But, it is time you know something more. We did not want to tell you- did not want to land another blow when you were already down, but I suppose this cannot be postponed."

Too much was happening too fast.

The three Fae sat in the room where Ria had first met Kayden. It was silent. They had told her- in a gentle tone as if she were a patient whose results had not come hopeful enough- about her father, and Rhysand, the new, cruel High Lord of Night, and how they believed her to be dead. One year. The supposed anniversary of hers and the actual one of her mother' had wrecked Rhysand. The Dusk' spies were efficient- but Ria knew that not even them had an inkling of Velaris.

"Why did you let them believe I was dead?" she asked, her voice steady. She would grieve later when no one was around except the ever-changing moon. "WHY?" She demanded in true royal fashion, her skirt swaying as she stood up in one swift motion.

"Bron used you to get at Cronan but, he was not the only High Lord who wished something against you or Night."

"Autumn," Ria breathed, "but Night is very much capable of handling them."

"Maybe, but we could not take any chances and the place where we found you... it had been near our borders and you were losing lot of blood quickly. You needed help. I thank Mother everyday that we got there on time."

"How did you know?" Ria asked, her eyes piercing into Kali's. "A spy who was returning."

"If they can leave and come back, why can't I? Especially when I wish to be at Night and not in this forgotten place." She had a valid point. "You can I suppose," Kayden interjected, "but then how would you explain your absence to your brother? To your court and the others? How will you-"

"Leave that to me," Ria snarled. To her surprise and annoyance, he stayed calm. Even under her fiery gaze which had bought many to their deep-rooted instinct of fight or flight, he stayed on the couch, hands on his knees, with an almost relaxed expression, his eyes giving him away.

"Fine," Kali said, "you can go," Ria blinked and so did Kayden. "You can go but remember you are turning away from your destiny and duty given to you by the Mother. That you are turning your back on your people. Or who would have been."

Ria did not say anything. "We will have a celebration tonight, and then, after a blood promise from you- the very same we make our spies take, you can leave. This way you can come back here, if you ever need to. But only this once." Kali left after that and Kayden soon followed, disappointment and dread in his bones.

Ria was supposed to be their salvation. Their freedom. Their High Lady. He had come to respect her, to like her and now this. May Mother look after his court.

Kayden made his way to the balcony where Kali was. "You are just going to let her go?" "You cannot force someone," she replied and he agreed but then, "what about Dusk? I thought you were going to persuade her? Show why she is needed here, why she belongs here and not at Night?"

"And I am. Tonight at the feast which we will be having at Terakh."

She would show Ria her court' citizens and denizens, and their culture and power, and then Ria would be left to make her own choice and act according to her free will. Kali only hoped that Ria wished to stay once the night was over.