Chapter 19

I leave my heart open but it stays right here empty for days

Rowan Sage was brooding. Again. His life expected that from him. Sitting alone in his house, he could not help it. Dusk was a good place to live, there was never a doubt, but, even the most beautiful places had corners and holes where all the dust and grime got swept in. It was his misfortune, that he had been born in one of those murky corners of this court.

He loved Dusk. He really did- and its Lady. Soon to be High Lady in power, hopefully. But, there were days where sadness took over, where his loneliness and self-degradation became the only thoughts in his head. Influencing him. Whispering in his ears as he rolled around in his bed, trying to find some semblance of peace. It was only his misfortune that he could never find it.

His only reprieve was his work. His job that he had dedicated his entire life too after he had been left orphaned. Kali had seen his potential and offered him honest work which he had latched on to like a child starved for a semblance of identity. It had worked. It still did- mostly.

A knock sounded on his door. Not even bothering to reach his knives, he got up and languidly made his way toward the door. The peephole showed Kali, standing there with another female. Now, this was unusual but Rowan seldom let anything take him by surprise- even if it did.

"Kali," he said, opening the door, "what do I owe this visit for?" he asked, before turning to assess her friend. "Ria," she introduced herself and he only let his eyebrow raise in surprise. High Lady Ria Dusk-Darling. Well, almost High Lady.

"Your grace," he bowed. She waved him off, "please, if we wanted formalities, Kali would have called you to my residence." He chuckled; she was right.

"We are here for unofficial business, Rowan. Ria heard of your talents, and wished to speak to you."

"Only if you don't mind, of course," Ria added and he found himself shaking his head. Company of two- even if it was for work- was better than brooding alone like he had been a few minutes ago.

Opening his door wide, he let the two of them in, before locking the door. His High Lady had made herself comfortable on the couch already, her legs crossed.

The rumours about her were true. She was graceful, smart, witty, beautiful in her own way, and powerful. He could feel and see it in front of him now- even when she was clad in the same casual clothing that the people here wore. The cheapest of clothes money could buy.

"Water?" he asked, already pouring himself some. Ria shook her head.

"I heard you can become invisible." Rowan nodded in confirmation. "Without any refraction of any kind?" Rowan nodded again which made Ria let out a huff of disbelief.

"Can I see?" she asked. Rowan dipped his head, and turned invisible while continuing to pour himself a glass of water. "Amazing," Ria breathed as she got up and circled around him, no doubt, searching for any kind of glitch in his powers. She did not find any.

Satisfied, she sat down again, legs crossed. "I have a job for you, should you want it. A permanent one if you are successful." Rowan' breath hitched as he became visible again, coming to sit right opposite her.

"And if I say no?" he asked, testing. She shrugged, "then I find someone else." Rowan smiled; she had not once demanded anything from him since the time she had appeared at his door step. Respect was earned, and she understood it.

"The people of this court like you, your grace. And I understand why." Ria smiled at that. "I will work for you and only you but on a trial basis at first."

Ria nodded, "your first assignment is to go and find out what the High Lord of Day and High Lord of Night are up to. They have been meeting for some time now and I wish to know why. Day is our ally- and their High Lord Helion knows about our existence."

Rowan nodded, "I am on it."

She earned all their loyalties one by one.

She had wished for her own group- a group loyal to her and only her. No crown, court or scheme came above her for them- she wished for their utmost loyalty. And she found it.

With Kayden who had become more than just her advisor. He was her closest friend and had helped her through her toughest decisions. Ria had earned his affection and loyalty with her wits, jokes, and open presence.

With Aria who became her best friend. Ria had stood up for her time and time again, and vouched for her when the old wyvern head had died. Aria had found herself a non-judgemental space in Ria.

With Amari who found a new home in Dusk. A haven for her and her wings without any coercion. Ria had earned her loyalty with her kindness and compassion.

With Rowan who found a family of his own in them. Who was grateful for Ria who had assisted him and had his back in the few spying missions she had insisted she wanted to take part in, within reason. Ria had earned his loyalty and trust with her cool and collected presence, her warmth and her views that matched often with his.

Together, the five of them made a team. A pentagram of the highest of powers that prevailed in Prythian. Each having a mighty stand on their own but becoming a force when together.

They had become Ria Darling' family.

Updated after ages but nevertheless: enjoy!