Chapter 42

Azriel was gearing up to fly in the sky with the rest of the Illyrians and Cass when he saw a flash of a familiar face in his periphery. The battle was a chaotic web of bloodbath and his shadows were stretched thin. Hybern had bought quite a few ships to Adriata and if it had not been for Varian's warning, he was sure Tarquin would've had a much more difficult time in handling this battle. But many of his soldiers had been ready for this, he knew, as if they had been warned of Hybern already. He did not have the time to dwell on who had told Tarquin or if the young Lord had suspected this himself. The flash of familiar hair came and went from his vision once again. He sucked in a breath; his mind better not be playing such games now.

"Cassian," he shouted to his brother, "take the skies. I will handle the ground." With a grunt of acknowledgement, Cass commanded the Illyrians to the sky. Azriel turned around his sword flashing in the sun as he slayed yet another Hybern soldier. Grunting, he started making his way towards the direction he had seen her go. How she had known they would need help- he would find out soon. Curious, he was curious about everything when it came to her.

Ria and others had been handling the inner workings when Amari had busted into their chambers will two letters, panting. One from Lord Devlon and one from High Lord Tarquin, both telling her about the battle that was to be waged in mere minutes.

She had taken those minutes to gather her forces, get ready and winnow everyone to Adriata. She had bought Kayden and Amari to watch her back in the battle. Rowan was gone to disrupt the water tides along with a few other Summer fae and overturn the incoming ships. Her selected army- whoever had gotten ready in such a small amount of time- were already fighting alongside the Summer court soldiers with Kayden occasionally giving them commands. She had made sure to get only her strongest- mentally- soldiers; the sudden change of scenario would have to be adjusted to quickly after all and with little fuss.

Somewhere in the chaos, she saw her brother make his way to one of the ships. "Towards Rhys," she shouted. Kayden nodded, "Amari go with her. I will look after here." Amari nodded, a bit out of breath as she they made their way to her brother.

"Tarquin' in trouble on your right," Amari shouted. Ria threw a dagger just in time to see the young soldier go down- the one who was about to attack the young High Lord. Tarquin, eyes wide, turned to her, "thank you." She grunted, "how long do we have before we are overpowered?" His eyes flashed, "an hour at most." Jaw clenched, Ria nodded, "let's take these bastards down then."

And for the next half hour, as she waded her way towards her brother, Amari and her took care of at least one whole ship of soldiers. Sometime in, Az had found her, eyes wide and full of fury. "Do you know where Rowan is?" she asked. He nodded; although having met only a handful of times, Ria knew he would remember each of her friends she had introduced him too. "Take me to him, please. Amari, stay with Tarquin. Help him." The Illyrian nodded, and took to the skies.

"You shouldn't be here; your wings," Az gritted out, taking her hand. "I have friends watching my back, Az." The shadows cleared and there- Rowan and a dozen others were trying to take the ships down. The winds around were particularly harsh, following every order Rowan threw at them. Pleased, she limped towards him, Az fighting the soldiers who came near.

"Ready?" she asked. He smiled, all blood and teeth, "ready."

From deep within her energy, she blasted her power towards the sky. Five ships were still making their way to the harbour with at least a hundred soldiers in each. Sending out a small prayer for them, she let a dark cloud form over each and every ship left- safe for the one Rhys was in. "When I say strike, strike." She ordered Rowan. The ships were getting nearer.