Chapter 9

So you got to let me know

Should I stay or should I go?

The celebration although arranged in the spans of just a few hours turned out to be successfully set up. Caterers were present with platters full of various- exotic and local food. Dancers, singers and comedians were called upon, all of whom had humbly accepted this royal invite with grace and gratefulness. Nobles- selected few who had an inkling about Ria' importance, citizens of Terakh and a handful of specially invited Elves were present. The more important guests took the ahead dais while the others mingled near the entrance, food and the performances.

All in all, Kali and Kayden had done a fabulous job in setting everything up. They could've had the celebration tomorrow or day after, but Kali insisted on tonight- for she knew just how stubborn Ria was. Ria who would not wait even for one more day now that her wish to see her remaining family had increased ten-fold, Kayden's and her' once withheld information acting as wooden logs to the fire.

Ria- the guest of honour was nowhere to be seen though.

She was instead hiding behind one of the curtains, camouflaging herself to the eyes of the others. A few faces she recognised and few she didn't. Elves. Those had taken her by surprise. What other wonders did Dusk hide, she couldn't help but wonder even as her mind and heart screamed to get a glimpse of her brother and their friends. But leaving Dusk after learning about her ancestry, and getting to know a few of the Fae who at present, were talking with Kali- her indecisive self could not decide what to do now.

Yes, she had wanted to go back. Still did very much so. But at the same time, she wanted to explore Dusk. It was as if an ancient force beckoned her to stay here, always. Maybe she would stay here and earn her position or maybe she would go back to being the Princess of Night, although it didn't seem so inviting anymore. For reasons more than one.

"Why are you looking as if you are facing certain death?" a voice came from behind but contrary to what the reaction he was looking for, she simply stood undeterred of his abrupt presence. Ria blinked. Once. Twice. Getting out of her thoughts, she turned to face Kayden. "I do not look like that," she replied before giving him an assessing look, "and you are twinning with a five-year old babe I just saw."

"What can I say? My taste is popular, and now, if you are done trying to distract me, Kali is waiting for you." Ria glared at him, she hated how undeterred he was, no matter what while she had to control her anger and rage every damned day. "Be a gentleman, and escort me," and he compiled, even if he didn't have to.

"A please would've been good etiquette." Kayden observed, making her grumble. She usually was polite and warm during most celebrations, unless it required a change of mask, but today had been agonisingly difficult to deal with. Nevertheless, she whispered, "thank you." He squeezed her hand on his arm lightly, "don't even worry about it."

Kayden stood beside Ria and observed as she talked with head of administration of the city about Dusk and its places which Ria must visit soon. None of them knew that this was not a random celebration but a going away of their future High Lady, except a handful few. Kali had sternly dismissed his opinion of telling everyone present here about the actual reason of the party before and it grated at him at no end. 

It wasn't fair, he thought, that they had to lose her so soon after waiting decades for her to come home; where she belonged. By the end of the celebration, Kayden aimed to persuade her to stay, no matter what. Kali disapproved of his poking his nose in her sole decision but he did not care. She had to stay.

He went to where she stood alone, observing and taking in every sight and sound around her now that the male had left, a glass of champagne in hand. "Enjoying?" he asked. "Yes. It is certainly something."

"So, when you will abandon us, will you miss it still?" Kayden was going to go for the softer approach but it seemed his mind and tongue did not care for it. Going straight for the kill was more like it. Ria huffed, "I am not abandoning you."

"What do call leaving then? When you know everything that has happened, and how much we need you, want you. When the nobles invite you to visit and you promise you will, lying. What do you call it then, Ria?" he asked harshly.

"I call it making my own choice. I call it a sister wishing to check-up upon her brother." 

Kayden huffed, "and what about after that? Will you come back or-"

"I will see then. Dusk is magical and exquisite but Night has been my home." Even though it was the very same court where she had been subject to attempted murder due to Rhysand' foolish mistakes.

Kayden did not miss the 'has' in the sentence. "Maybe Dusk can be your new home, if you let it." Ria nodded, leaving Kayden as she saw Kali appearing, not wanting to face her yet.

The parties at Dusk were different. They were a breath of fresh air, away from the two-faced Fae she was used to navigating around, snooping for politics and betrayals. She would spend her time, as the Princess of Night, trying to get information out of males she knew wanted her and Fae whom she knew envied her. And then, putting the information together on a silver platter for her father all the while dealing with an ever over-protective brother and his two so-called found brothers. Her only salvation had been the fact that her mother left her alone to her devices.

Here though, at Dusk, she was free from all that. Yes, she missed and ached for her family with all that she was capable of, but, the air here seemed fresher and she seemed to breathe better. Here, she could be the future High Lady to the Dusk Court, no longer scrapping after males, trying to juggle her brother' annoying habit of putting his nose in her business, and her father' critical eyes. She could be what her true potential allowed her to be. Her own- in all and every sense of the word.

She mulled over her next step for the rest of the night. She knew Kali had set up this celebration for that exact motive but Ria couldn't find herself to be annoyed. As the night went by, she met new people- High Fae nobles, Elves with impressive talents and wits, and few civilians of Terakh who insisted she tried the delicacies they had prepared.

As the end neared, Kali finally cornered her and took her to the main dais. Everyone present noticed Kali' steady and ancient presence and gathered near them, the conversations coming to a halt. "Thank you all for coming today," her voice rang across the area, "I am glad you all could be here, at such short notice. I hope you all had an enjoyable night. That being said, I request you to welcome the newest addition to the Dusk Court- Ria Darling." 

Ria was glad she did not add the newest title to the end. Dusk-Bringer would be added at the end when she claimed it, if ever.

Ria stepped forward on command as the crowds clapped politely. "Thank you," she found herself saying, "you all have been generous, most gracious hosts." All their smiles became beaming then. "Please, enjoy the end as much as you have the start. Let us end tonight with a note of high."

At her signal, music filled the air once again, only this time it was faster, perkier and joyful. Soon, the crowd dwindled into groups as they let the festivities of the night come to an end with a blast.

"What did you think?" Kali asked her.

"I have made a decision."