Chapter 31

It all comes to this

They were in Eris' room. Ria sat on the couch, leaning forward, thinking. Eris lounged back with his legs on her lap. And Tanvi stood straight, hips jutting out and hands crossed. It was the eve of the third trial. Dante was still away from their access. They didn't even know if she was alive anymore. Feyre had become a shell and her brother was still playing the devil's role. And herself and Tanvi were stuck here as Amarantha revelled and tortured anyone who got even a bit too close to leaving. She had killed a dozen Winter babes just last week. Ria had thrown up that day, her heart going out for Kallias and the parents.

"Only one more day till the waiting game is over," Eris muttered. Ria gave him a side glance. He wasn't wrong- that is all they had been doing these days. Waiting. Waiting for a way out. Waiting for Feyre to win. Waiting for the bitch queen to die. Ria hated it with every fibre of her being. She knew Eris did too. It was frustrating to know that they had no control in this arena- not even a little bit. Even Spring' border were air-tight and closed. No way out.

"Then let's hope she wins." Tanvi said.

Ria shook her head. "Say she loses- Mother forbid. But we need a contingency plan. Once Amarantha has powers of all the High Lords, nothing will stop the tarnish that she will bring forth to Prythian."

"Then its up to us, I suppose," Eris said. Ria nodded; her face grim. "Knife to the heart?" she suggested with a smile except she wasn't joking. Tanvi took in a breath, "if it comes to that, my lady, allow me to be the first line of attack." Ria nodded- she knew why Tanvi had offered this and she accepted it. "You. And then I." Ria said.

"You," Eris said, looking at Tanvi, "and then me." A fucking suicide mission- that's what this was. Ria shook her head in disagreement, "Autumn needs you." "And Dusk, you," Eris fired back. Tanvi nodded. Ria sighed. If they went down, they would go down together. For should Feyre win or lose tomorrow, one thing was sure- Amarantha would not leave unscathed.

The crowd was silent as Feyre made her way in. It was her final stance. Entire Prythian depended on her for their freedom. It was surreal and terrifying- but all unknown things are. Ria only prayed that it would be in her favour. But she couldn't shake the dread that had taken root in her heart.

"Two trials lie behind you," Amarantha said, picking at a fleck of dust on her blood-red gown. Her black hair shone, a gleaming darkness that threatened to swallow up her golden crown. "And only one more awaits. I wonder if it will be worse to fail now—when you are so close." She gave a pout, but only a few laughs hissed from the red-skinned guards. Everyone else remained silent this time. Hope- it was a powerful weapon. And everyone here could almost taste it.

Amarantha glared at her court, but when her gaze fell upon Feyre, she smiled broadly, sweetly. "Any words to say before you die?" And the girl who had come here to free her first love only turned to where Tamlin stood unmoving and stone cold. "I love you," she said. "No matter what she says about it, no matter if it's only with my insignificant human heart. Even when they burn my body, I'll love you." Ria's heart clenched with pity- love only ever brought with it pain. Tamlin didn't react—he didn't even grip the arms of his throne.

Amarantha said sweetly, "You'll be lucky, my darling, if we even have enough left of you to burn." Her words were not met with jeers or smiles or applause from the crowd. Only silence. It was a gift that everyone here gave the human girl. Courage and silent support. It was all they were capable of now. Amarantha propped her chin on a hand. "You never figured out my riddle, did you? Pity. The answer is so lovely."