Chapter 12

And I chase it down, with a shot of truth

Ria knew she was being followed by Azriel' spies; it would be stupid for him not to send them and Azriel was anything but stupid. She turned around, letting herself face the world below her as she finished climbing the last step.

It was beautiful. And nostalgic, and Ria' breath hitched as the memories came back to her. But, that sense of home had vanished. The House of Wind where she had spent half her life was no longer her home. She doubted Night was either; not after everything that had happened in its forests.

She couldn't help but compare her view of Velaris to Dusk. Where Velaris was sparkling and happy, Dusk' cities were in contrast. Yes, they were happy too but not in the same way Velaris seemed to be, cut off from the rest of the world. At least Dusk was well inter-connected and people there weren't as naïve. They knew what was outside the court, what types of monsters lay in their court and out, and they were smart and resourceful.

That is not to say that Velaris wasn't. Fae here were hard-working and intelligent too, but not as much. Call it future High Lady pride of her recently known court, but she could see the flaws of Night more clearly now that she had been severed from it.

Velaris was closeted. Hewn City too- but left in the worst condition, trapping everyone in it. The Illyrians were back-warded and sexist. And the other places were scattered here and there.

Dusk was different. All places were connected with roads and rivers. Some secluded places were kept so only due to the wishes of the citizens living there. The culture, the traditions- they were all so different, and all so very welcomed by her. It was a good change.

Turning away from the view granted, she walked toward the dining table. It had been a few hours since she had eaten. She expected the wraiths were put on her duty but what she had not expected was Rhys sitting comfortably at the table front.

"High Lord Rhysand," she greeted him.

"Ria, do join me for an early dinner." She nodded stiffly, sitting opposite of him, putting her at the other centre of the table.

They ate in silence and Ria could feel his eyes on her, scrutinizing, every few minutes. She knew what he was trying and failing to do but did not comment on it. Rather he think her as a harmless threat than a female very much aware of her surroundings. It would be a comfortable image for what she intended to do.

"I searched for you in the records, but cannot seem to find your name," he said, and she gulped. "You must have overlooked it, High Lord. Out of all due respect, mistakes can be made by anyone."

His power was coming to the surface. "Or, you are lying. But, I have in good council that no word that has left your mouth has been a lie. Thus, I conclude that you are twisting the truth."

"If you want," Ria started, already finding a solution to this small problem, "I could look with you. And then, if you find nothing, I shall leave Velaris not to return unless you or someone who shares your blood wills it so."

"Quite confident, aren't you?" he sneered. She made no movement nor gave any response in return.

"Alright, you have a deal- a bargain rather." Her hand tingled and she gladly accepted it as the only sign she would have of her brother for a long time.

They were in his office- or what had once been their father's office. He had changed it completely. It had only taken a small glamour from her and suddenly, her face and name showed up- an orphan taken in after the War, only a few relatives left. She did not give time for Rhys to collect himself- either to apologize or interrogate her- for if he was doubtful of her before, he definitely was suspicious and careful now.