Chapter 7

This is why we can't have nice things, darling

Because you break them, I had to take them away

"Once upon a time," the witch started, "there existed a united Prythian with only a High King and High Queen. They looked after every creature, every being that existed in this world. But soon, it was divided into courts when it had become apparent that it would crumble under the divisions that had started to become more and more apparent. No rule, no scheme would be of any help. And so, it was divided into seven courts and the Middle."

Ria nodded; she already knew this part of the history. It was the first things any noble learned.

The witch continued, "Soon, a dispute arose between two High Lords- of Dusk and Night over Ouroboros. The Dusk Court had the artifact in its possession, and sharing a border with them, Night got paranoid. They- do you know the properties of the Ouroboros, or even what it is?"

Ria nodded, "a bit. The ouroboros is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail, representing the concept of eternity and endless return. The artifact which is named after it is like a mirror and has been lost for generations now. It is also known as the Mirror of Beginnings and Endings. There is little known about it."

"Yes," the witch smiled, satisfied that she seemed well informed; it would have been annoying to explain everything. "It is said whoever looks into the mirror will see their true self. And since not all are able to handle it- the truth of themselves- they go mad and are then stuck in the vision the mirror shows until death comes for them- a merciful rescue. The other less known fact is that the Mirror can also be used to amplify a witch' power. The amplification of the witch' soul is good enough to kill a small army- or a High Lord."

Ria had a feeling how the history was about to go now. Classic, intolerable males and their paranoia and ego.

"And so," the witch exhaled, "the High Lord of Night got paranoid- within reason, but then I suppose his ego also had a lot to do with it." Her eyes glazed over as if she was reminiscing it more than just telling a story that has been passed down through generations.

"He wanted the power for his court. It was unfair, according to him, that only Dusk with all its beings and magic got the Mirror too. And so, he decided to take it from right under our nose. The artifact belonged to a Goddess who lived here."

"A Goddess?" Ria sputtered.

"Yes," the witch said as if it were no big deal. "She had come here from another world, a goddess of Truth with the Mirror that showed everyone their true self as her most favourite possession."

"She was angered, wasn't she?" Ria asked, her voice near whisper. The witch nodded.

"There was a Valkyrie," and Ria felt a pang go through her and her heart felt heavy. Valkyries- now extinct, once a force to be reckoned with. "She was mated to a high positioned noble of our court. And as these things go, she was welcomed with open arms by us all."

"How old are you?" Ria asked, wide eyed. The witch gave a small laugh, "old."

"Now, stop interrupting me," she scolded before her eyes glazed again.

"She was influenced to steal the Mirror. Which she then did, successfully. The Goddess found out about the treason. The whole palace went on lockdown in seconds and we were all rushed to find the thief. But, we were unable to stop her from leaving. She was a Valkyrie and had been a part of this court for years. She knew our weakest guards, escape routes, and so she left in a blink of an eye. Left and thieved from, the Goddess got angry. And her wrath then directed to the next target- us."