Chapter 15

One day, maybe next week

I'm gonna meet ya, I'm gonna meet ya, I'll meet ya

(The song was just stuck in my head today)

That is how Ria spent her time. Training in the mornings with Kayden, meeting Ari and the wyverns which were now seventy in number, her court duties which went on till early night, dinner in peace, reading and meditation and then all over again. Sometimes, there were changes in her schedule which shook her from her usual routine pleasantly like the annual ceremonies and festivals, meeting citizens randomly and so on.

Hundred years had come and passed by like this and she was grateful at how fast-paced it had been. Sometimes, she still struggled with everything and then, Kayden made sure she visited her therapist for guidance. It wasn't often but Kayden was a staunch believer of prevention is better than cure when it came to her health- mental, physical and emotional.

Kayden waited for her near the entrance of the castle in his casuals. He was looking forward to tonight; it had been a while since Ria and him and gone out. Today was one of the rare days she was free for the whole day, and he was going to make the most of it.

He sensed her presence before she even took one step down the steps of the entrance. He smiled at her as she came down, her hands holding her dress as she manoeuvred herself. "Aria?" she asked, without any greeting except her beaming smile- the genuine one. He had learnt her different smiles over the years and knew which one she used when. "Busy," he replied to her question. "She is on a date," he added, his nose scrunching up in distaste. Ria chuckled, "who is the lucky person?" Kayden grumbled. As if it mattered.

"Careful," Ria sang, taking his outstretched hand, "I can practically feel your jealousy." He huffed; she was wrong. "Annoyance, actually. She deserves better than him." Ria hummed her agreement to that, knowing he only came from a place of good friendship but still, "That being you?" she poked fun. He glared at her.

They started walking towards the two horses who remained wild and free with no guards holding them with leashes. "Where are we going?" Ria asked. "Aromia," Kayden replied. Ria gave out a whine, "that is the main hub! It will be so crowded," and Kayden nodded.

"I know but, a new place just opened up and I think we will like it. It is calm there, do not fret my lady," he said and Ria stopped, sending a mock glare his way. His flirting was like a switch where she was concerned. He knew it kept her on her toes- never knowing if he would be the serious Kayden, the flirty one or the playful one. He also knew he liked seeing her trying to quickly adapt to that change. It was their game of sorts.

"What reason do I have to fret when my charming knight is with me?" she mused. And because it was Ria who said it with an eye roll and the dry tone of hers, it kept the words from being flirtatious. "Ay, your grace speaks the truth."

Ria rolled her eyes, again, before climbing the horse. "Come on, we do not have all day."

"Have you ever heard that patience is a virtue?" he asked. Ria winked at him, "yes but that is for people who are not me." Kayden laughed, "true, Princess."

They reached the hub within half an hour of horseback racing which left Ria' back throbbing. The horse neighed when she practically tumbled down and Ria was pretty sure that he was glad the ride was over. It was a tragedy really; she loved animals but they did not love her.

That had been her first heartbreak and since then, that sadness was amplified with her annoyance at the situation. It wasn't fair that animals did not love her the way they had Azriel. Azriel, his memory sent a pang to her heart. It had been quite a while since she had last though of them. It was almost like recovering memories of a past life.