Chapter 14

And love, if your wings are broken

We can brave through those emotions too

It had been quite a few months. She had spent them getting to know her court better, its people, places, trade, history, culture and anything else she could think of. Kayden had been beside whenever his work spared him to. He was apprenticing, in a manner, below Lord Nolan, his uncle and member of the council.

The governmental institution here was very much like that of Court of Nightmares with its Council which over-looked the place under the High Lord or Lady' orders. The nobles came after the Council followed by secondary nobles. It was a well divided and maintained structure which made its citizens voice heard instead of repressing it like the court of Nightmares did though. There was another additional court held for matters relating to finance, militia and inter-relations (not that there was much of that... yet). They only met bi-annually.

Over the months, Ria had acquainted herself with each of those nobles and was pleasantly surprised to see that it had good representation of all sectors. And then there were two Elves, the witch who came and went as she wished, and rest Fae. Much to Ria's relief, they all accepted her. Kali had already backed her up beforehand it had seemed.

As of now, she was walking to the Nirvana Valley with Kali. They passed a few towns, all of which seemed to be gearing up for Starfall, with much enthusiasm.

"The Starfall might be the best in Night to watch from but the dusk that comes before is spectacular here. Palette of colors, wyverns flying all around, and northern lights- it is all breath-taking." Kali said.

"Wyverns," Ria mused, she had seen their drawing and paintings but never seen one yet. That is why they were going to the Valley today which all the wyverns had made their primary home. She was beyond excited. "How is it that they are not extinct?"

"You forget we are hidden from the world. It means we are trapped yes, but it also means we are protected from their greed and ambition. Wyverns once existed all over along with dragons until they were killed in wars and ambition."

Ria took in a breath as they started climbing the rocks to reach the valley' opening. "Yet you wish for me to open the doors."

"We all do. We are tired of hiding and it is time. We are strong and stable and wiser. Besides, the crown accepted you. Our saving grace."

"I hate expectations," Ria grumbled, almost near the entrance. "No pressure then," Kali grinned her way before using one of the rocks jutting out as a sturdy base to swing herself from, right to the face of the entrance. Ria huffed but after a few steps and panting, she reached the top.

"Ready?" Kali asked. Ria nodded.

They entered to a garden. The most beautiful, lush and vibrant one if she had ever seen one. This, Ria thought, this is what heaven must be like. The honeyed lands where her mother was residing in now. The entrance lobby was wooden, with a flickering chandelier on the ceiling. Three corners were filled with pastel-coloured couches with a tea table in between. One corner was taken by a small stall for coffee, baked goods, and sweets that made her mouth water. Another thorough glance made her notice a small opening on the opposite side of the fireplace, adjacent to the stall. The door was camouflaged. "That leads to an apartment." Kali informed her, watching her gaze. Ria nodded, satisfied, letting her eyes take in what was in-between one of the couch area and the stall- the entrance to the garden.

It was red carpet treatment with climbers and vipers forming a dome for ten metres or so. It was cool and she could smell petrichor. Walking to the other side, she took in the sight. A few Fae females seemed to be in a serious discussion, their hands moving rapidly. "Where are the wyverns?" Ria asked, scanning the horizon and the plain on which they now stood. "You will see, come on." Kali gestured toward the group of four females, one of whom had finally noticed them.