Chapter 10

I'm bad at goodbyes

After her comment, Kali had rushed off to call the night off, as polite as ever. Ria stood in the same room that she had first seen after waking up. Kayden stood beside her, hands in his pockets.

"I miss them, Kayden," she whispered the truth to him, the night and silence making her bold and nostalgic. His hands found hers. "I know." Her shouts and cries were not always silent, her magic flickering due to the intense emotions at night. But, she would never accept his help and he knew it, thus, only ever listening but never stepping forward. She would have to come to him, while he stood patiently with an open stance. 

She was now.

"I need to see him. How he is now that we are both orphans." The word sounded strange on her lips. It made her hollow. Kayden squeezed her hand once. "Just once. I have to. He will have Cassian, Azriel and Mor with him but, I need to see him. He is master at masking his emotions in front of others," the same way she was. Only one liar could spot another one.

"You are leaving," he sighed. He should have known, he had known. But hope was a stupid thing that he had latched on to- no matter how little it had been. Ria nodded and his heart deflated. He had thought the party had helped.

"I would like to return though. See how life might be here." Night did not seem welcoming now. It hurt her; that she could ever think like that about her home.

"So, you will come back? You will only visit Night then?" a voice said from the doorway. Ria did not turn behind as she nodded. "Yes." Kayden' sigh was audible. "I want to go back. For some time. I will take the oath, the blood promise- whatever. But I will go." They could not stop her. "And I will come back."

Kali nodded. "When do you wish to leave?" "Now." Her few collected possessions were already packed.

"Do you have a plan?" Kayden asked from her side. "No. But its Night. It is home." And home never needed preparation- only feel true and comfortable to rest.

"I have a question," Ria said as Kali prepared everything for the blood promise. "Yes?"

"How is it that the spies get the option of this while my great grandmother never did?" As she herself was now. Kali sighed, "she wished to never return. And although the oath would've kept her from spilling anything, she wished to keep no secrets from her mate. Thus, her memories were taken."

"What about any commoner? That is, if they ever wish to leave for some time," Ria asked. "This oath is not easy to take. Since the start of the isolation, only five have ever gone- who weren't spies or your great grandmother. You need a very special reason, and be a trusted, loyal citizen."

"I suppose I am?" Kali nodded.

The short ritual had only her and Kali present. Kayden had other duties that he needed to attend to and this one fell out of it. "Put your hand forward," Kali said. She did. The cut made was small and precise, and as few droplets went down on a crown- not the one made for the High Lady- she felt something change in her.

"You are now connected to the crown, this court, on a deeper and stronger level." Kali explained.

"Say your oath now."

Ria cleared her throat. "I, Ria Darling... Dusk-Bringer, promise my loyalty to this court. To not reveal its secret- in any way or form- and to not participate in any ill will against it. I promise to uphold this and accept the consequences if I ever break it. Punishment as seen fit by this very crown.

Loyalty. Fraternity. Respect. To the crown. To the Dusk Court. Let this crown and Mother be my witness and guide me to its upholding."

Ria felt the change then. Her connection to the crown which now glowed bright for a few moments before returning to its original gold state. She felt the weight of the crown on her, and the storm it bought with it to test her. But she weathered it like a tree on a windy day. She bowed her head as the power and energy of this entire court- its very essence- made her a test subject. It was so potent and powerful- more so than what she had seen Rhys or her father possess. It was glorious and mean. And once, it was satisfied at her resilience and respect, it calmed down. She gave out a shudder and a gasp as the weight of a mountain lifted from her, replaced by a stone- to remember this moment by. It was not harsh, but watchful.

The crown glowed once again, casting a golden glow onto her face. The crown accepted her.

"Mother watch over you," Kali murmured, her eyes slightly wide, as Ria slightly tipped her head down in reverence.

Ria stood at the border now. The oath pulsed beneath her skin now that she was near the exit. "When will you return?" Kayden asked.

"Depends." Looking at his scowling face, she added, "I will answer that through Tanvi as soon as I decide upon it. You will be the first to know." Tanvi was one of the spies.

And although pleased, he had to ask, "as if you have anyone else you would write to."

Ria raised her right eyebrow. "Is this how you try to hide your emotional state at my leaving?" Kayden scoffed. He would not deign a reply to that statement. "I will miss you," Ria finally conceded making him gruff the same response. "You better be in one piece when you return."

Ria laughed at the implication. "I will."

Kayden watched from where he stood as Kali and Tanvi and Ria made their way toward the very edge of the border. Kali stopped as Tanvi and Ria stepped forward, the barrier rippling translucent at the disturbance. He could see the faint glow coming from Ria- a golden shine- before it disappeared. The oath was in motion now.

He did not think she understood just how emotional this was for him to watch and be a part of. His High Lady was leaving- without any sort of court protection except of one spy. She hadn't even claimed her place as their Lady even though the crown had recognized her. She had yet to explore Dusk in its actuality and yet, she had left without even once looking behind to a family that had been unable to protect her with no knowing of when she will be back.

Needless to say, he was on edge. He prayed to Mother Ria came back. Soon. A month being the longest stretch he could possibly endure before feeling betrayed. Especially when he did not know where the court hanged- with her claiming her throne or leaving them to their own devices.