Chapter 23

A long way from home

Azriel was sitting outside the house, in the back, staring at the stars above. Ria hesitated; maybe he wanted to be alone. Rhys always thought that it was ridiculous and disrespectful when Azriel excused himself from the table but she understood the need for being alone every now and then when life got too much.

"I don't mind," he said and she blinked. "Are you sure?" He nodded. She sat beside him, her hands encasing her legs. His shadows were already around them both, although, they seemed to be cautious of her. "Mother wanted to know if you would like to eat something," she started softly. He shook his head. "Alright, would you like to eat it later? I could save some for you," she continued. "Maybe," he replied. She nodded, satisfied, before turning to look at the stars. They seemed so much rawer here than they did in Velaris- her home made of glass. A comfortable prison.

"Do you know the names of the stars?" Az asked her. She was surprised that he started a conversation on his own accord. Nevertheless, she was careful not to show it. "I know a few of them," she said softly.

It was one of the things Azriel liked about her- how she spoke calmly and softly in contrast to her brother and Cassian' loud voices that hurt his sensitive ears. Ria pointed to one of the stars in the sky, "that is called Orion. And the one beside it, well, I named it Cerberus." Az hid his small smile at the serious way she said that. "And the three stars that you can see in the triangular shape- they shine the brightest during the Rite. They are even present on the Night Court sigil."

"Beautiful," he whispered and she agreed. "There is a rawness here that I cannot seem to find anywhere else. It's like Illyria is a part of me- my home in way more than the place I was raised." Azriel kept himself from asking where had she been raised. How normal her childhood must have been in contrast to his.

"Do you want to know something?" she whispered again, in a conspirator' tone. He nodded, always. After being starved of the outside world for so long he wanted to know everything about everyone- but never violating their privacy at the same time, like his had been.

"Illyria was not always part of the Night Court." He looked at her, surprised. She nodded to herself, continuing, "I read about it. Illyria became a part of this court only a couple of centuries after Prythian was divided into seven courts."

"It was independent before?" he asked. Ria shrugged, "they never mentioned that. It was as if, their history, how they came into being and operated before Night was a complete unknown mystery that was charred off our normal, generic history books. I only know even this little information because I like reading things from the restricted section of the library," she winked at him and for the first time, he felt himself chuckle.

He shocked both, himself and Ria.

Clearing his head, he turned back to the stars.

"Does your brother know this too?" He wanted to know more about Rhysand and Cassian. Both bastards like him. Ria shook her head, "no." They sat in silence for some time.

"Cassian was wondering if you would like to play a game of cards with us," she informed him. He looked around. "Rhys told me," she said. His curiosity must have shown since she added, "sibling' bond."

"Will you be playing?" he asked. She nodded.

"I-" he hesitated, "I have never played cards before." She did not sneer or laugh or mock him as he had been afraid of and he was glad he had trusted her with this piece of information.