Chapter 27

Hustling

Ria had to visit Lucien and Feyre, both. The former because she knew Eris was worried for him and the latter because she herself was worried for her. She was the key out of here. But as of present, she happily carried her basket of firewood to Rhys' chambers.

She turned open the doorknob and there he stood, surrounded by Nuala and Cerridwen. She curtsied, "I bring firewood." He dismissed his wraiths and she saw a flash of white paper before the sisters disappeared. She turned back to him and he gestured for her to continue. She obeyed.

"You bet for the human girl, didn't you?" she asked. He did not answer. Nevertheless, she continued, determined to hear his voice when he wasn't acting cruelly and as her puppet, "I find it stupid- that everyone that day were betting against her when she is the key to this cage."

Rhys tutted then. "Careful," he said, "the walls have ears."

"My apologies," Ria bowed her head as she removed the ashes that had been there and started piling the logs into the fireplace. "You will learn the unspoken rules soon," he said and her heart gave a pang. "I hope I never do," Ria replied truthfully and his curious gaze stayed on her the entire time.

One down, three to go, Ria thought, as she made her way to Lucien. The poor male had been given lashings after the trial for helping Feyre. He was kept in one of the cells at the moment, starved and parched. She slipped in, reminding herself she was doing this for Eris as she narrowly hid from the incoming guard rotation.

"Vanserra?" she whispered urgently into the cold, bare cell. "Yes," came his tired reply. "Here," Ria threw a small vial toward him, "for the pain and the thirst." He caught it swiftly with his injured hand. "Why?" Ria shrugged even though he could not see her, "call it pity or call it care." He snorted, "I call it circumstance."

Ria rolled her eyes, even as a small smile threatened, "you make no sense, Vanserra, just like your lot."

Finally, Ria thought, as she slipped out and made her way to Eris's chambers with some food on a platter. She knocked on his door and upon hearing his gruff 'enter', she opened the door and closed it quickly. She scanned the room- he was alone. Her shoulders that had been tense since she woke up today morning, relaxed.

"You will be glad to know Lucien still is as smart with his mouth as ever," Ria said, sitting down on the plush chair with a groan. Gods, she missed luxury. "You visited him?" Eris asked. Ria rolled her eyes, "obviously." Eris was silent. "Why Ria, thank you," Ria mimicked him and he gave out a snort.

"I didn't ask for you to do so," he defended and she glared at him. He bobbed his head, "but, my appreciation is in order, I suppose." Only Eris, Ria thought, would express his gratitude without expressing his gratitude.

"So, what else is new?" Ria asked, letting her legs stretch as she placed them on the table, taking the platter in her hand. Eris came forward, and took one of the grapes from the plate for himself. "Beron is as infuriating as he usually is and my mother is tolerating him as always. My brothers are all idiots and the only saving grace, I am afraid, for all of us is that measly human girl."

"Measly human girl who killed the Middengard Wyrm." Ria reminded him. Eris' eyes darkened, "she still has two more tasks to go, not to mention, surviving for almost three months in those fly-infested cells."

"She will," Ria said with a lot more confidence than she had. "Only time will tell," Eris replied, his face grim.

Someone knocked on the door. Cursing, Ria righted herself as Eris straightened. "Come in," his voice boomed with authority. A female slipped in with a familiar scent, "my lord," she bowed. Ria was about to go when Eris stopped her by his hand. Turning to the figure, he said, "rise. And you may drop the charade here- Raya is to be trusted unequivocally."