Chapter 33

When I look in the mirror

The Hewn City was just as she remembered with little minute changes here and there. She had snuck in along with Rowan. "A thing that powerful- only Keir will know where it is." Rowan hummed, "and how are we to make him agree with us?" Ria gave him a conspirator's look, "there must be something the greed in him wants." Rowan shuffled on his feet, muttering, "I don't like this. What if he recognizes you? Or tattles to Rhysand." Ria replied, "that is a possibility but since I have plans of meeting with my brother already... what great harm can Keir do?" The words felt like ash on her mouth but Ria shouldered it- everything was in control. Something was coming and she would be ready for it.

Ria lounged in one of the rooms of his, sitting at the head. Rowan too looked at ease in his chair, near bored. Keir had been sent a message by one of the terrified soldiers to meet them in the council room- alone.

Ria was scanning her red nail polish when the door opened with a start. Keir came in, fuming, "what is the meaning of this?" Ria sighed, "always so angry, Keir. Have you tried meditation?" He growled coming closer. Rowan' hand casually rested on his sword. "Who do you think you are?" Ria tutted, getting up, "Forgotten me already?" She let the little tailoring that she had done on her face, fall. Keir took in a breath, "that's not possible. You are dead." She hummed, "and now I am not." Clapping her hands once, she gave him her best unhinged smile, "fun, isn't it?" It worked. Keir paled, his eyes going as wide as saucers. "A couple of beings took pity on me," she said, teeth flashing. Rowan smirked.

"Who?" Keir tried being in control but was rapidly failing. "And now," Ria continued, ignoring his question, "they have a need of one of the artifacts you have kept in your treasury here. Two, actually." Keir shook his head as if the notion amused him, "I have no use for charity."

Ria tilted her head then, letting her nails scratch the table as she took a walk around. "Its so dark here. It must be depressing to live for so long but with never having seen the light." Keir hissed, "its only a matter of time." Ria stilled, got him, she thought, flashing him a deadly smile, "You have not been the best stewardess to your High Lord, Keir. Careful." He gave her a lazy smile, "if you were going to tell on me, you already would have."

"I may change my mind still. Never liked the colour orange anyway." Keir stilled entirely. Ria smirked; thank Eris for that piece of information. She might just kiss him if Keir fell for this. He hissed, "Its been a long time since we saw you, Princess. Let me show you some hospitality of Hewn before we proceed," and as if this had been a command, soldiers poured in the room. Fifteen, she counted, scanning the room. Rowan was already beside her, handing her a sword. They held their positions around her but didn't advance yet. A show of power then. But Ria who had been wanting to spend her anger for some time now gave them an enticing smirk, opening her arms in a welcoming gesture, "shall we?"

Keir snarled, advancing first. The others followed suit. She disposed of two soldiers before Keir launched on her. She took him in stride. Rowan was already dealing with four of them at once. Three were dead. Poor males, Ria thought, to have had the bad luck to be under Keir's command. Her sword clanged with Keir. "Quite a welcome party," she smiled at him. He snarled, hitting back. Ria knew that commenting with sarcasm wouldn't deter him- he was far too cunning and patient for that. But, still, it gave her delight.

She risked a sideway glance just as Keir took on attack. Rowan was still occupied and his arm had been slashed. Her eyes flashed; no one hurt her court. Snarling, she retaliated and Keir's eyes widened. She had been playing him all along. Within three moves, Ria had him disarmed with her sword nicking his neck. "Surrender," her voice rang throughout the room. The remaining conscious soldiers dropped their weapons. "Leave," she commanded. They looked at Keir for a second, making her increase the pressure on his neck. Keir hissed, "leave," he managed to say. The soldiers left. And only then did Ria remove the sword from his sorry neck, wiping the blood on his shoulders before putting it back in its sheath. Kier stood still, his body trembling with repressed rage.