Chapter 18

Who's ready to play?

Eris, on a split decision made by Ria, was taken back to her court. Kayden was already waiting for them with a scowl on his face and seeing Eris did not help it. But a warning look from Ria had him conceding. All the way back, Ria had explained her rescue and decision to Eris. She told him about her life and her court and asked him to take an oath to keep it a secret. He did. He understood.

"This is Kayden, my advisor," Ria introduced him. 

"Eris Vanserra," Eris extended his hand. For a moment it had seemed like Kayden wouldn't shake it but after a moment of deliberation, he did. "Welcome to our court. You will find it is quite different from yours."

And Eris agreed. It was different. The people seemed content and happier, new businesses could be found here and there, all Fae and other species thrived well among one another with equity. Ria had found herself quite a home.

"There are things I would like to change, but, Dusk is far better than any other court." She told him as they made their way to her house. "No court is perfect," he mummered, and Kayden surprisingly agreed with him.

Ria showed him around her new home until dusk arrived and Kayden had to leave for some business.

"How is... everyone?" Ria asked once they were alone in her room. Her voice came strained. "Your brother is fine- a bit cruel and sometimes an idiot, but fine. So are your Illyrian brutes." Ria scowled.

"And your mother? You?"

Eris went silent at that. "I am fine," he started slowly, "and my mother is surviving with my father. He is- he is growing to be more of a tyrant every day. My court is losing its vibrancy along with its Lady. And Lucien..." he gulped, "Lucien is with Tamlin."

Ria straightened, "why?" she demanded but he did not blame her for that.

"Tamlin took him in after my father found out about Jesminda. She died by my hands." He could not help but look down at his bloodied hands- he was made of blood and tears. Ria' hands found his. "Tell me," she said and that is what he liked about her. She never passed a judgement or gave an advice without knowing the entire story of both sides. She was his only friend. Alive. His closest friend. Fuck.

"It was his order- one I had to follow. Lucien fled in anger and due to Beron' rage at his choices. Alsek and Ronan stayed by my side while Fen and Callahan died at the hands of Tamlin when they tried going over to his court to get Lucien to our father. His head had a bounty which has been removed since."

Ria cursed. "I am so sorry," her grip on his hand tightened, "so, so sorry." That she wasn't there. But he did not blame her. not one bit, no, he was simply over the moon to see her back alive. He was still reeling from the shock.

"I still can't believe you are alive," he chuckled. Ria gave him a lopsided smile, "it was quite satisfying to see your reaction. I always knew you liked me." He smiled then. When was the last time he had smiled?

Silence prevailed for a few moments and just as quickly had the atmosphere become lighter it became serious. Ria' face was blank again as she asked, "what were you doing in Night?"

Eris cleared his throat. "Your brother bought me there as a sign of trust."

"And why would they need that? Especially when your courts where about to go to war a few decades ago?" Eris looked at her in shock, and she shrugged as if to say I have my ways. Why was he surprised? Of course she did.

"That has been settled since then. There was no proof, after all," he waved it off. Ria chuckled slightly, "I missed your wits," she said and his heart skipped a beat- his friend had missed him just as much as he had missed her. This time he moved his hands to squeeze her shoulders, "I know Princess, I know."

"What happened?" she asked again, catching the hand that was around her shoulders, twiddling with his fingers. Eris sighed, "well, I figured my father has ruled and lived long enough." Ria' head whipped so fast he worried she had sprained her neck, "what?" she screeched. He grimaced, "easy, Princess. But yes, he needs to go to those fabled honeyed lands. Preferably soon. None of my court's lesser Fae are particularly happy, my little brother is hiding in another court with the bastard of person who betrayed Rhysand' trust, and my mother," he gulped, "I am afraid she has reached her rock bottom."

"Oh, Eris," and her voice came so full of empathy that he stood up abruptly. He shouldn't have opened up so much, to such extent. It was only because his emotions were riding high at seeing her alive that his armor had cracked and shattered for her to see the tattered person he had become since the day she had been gone.

Ria stood up too and in one step, her hands were on his back, squeezing him, as if it would keep all his pieces intact for some more time. As if it would keep him from losing himself completely.

He hugged back.

"How can I help?" she asked just as he was about to eat the last piece of his dinner pie. They had decided to have dinner before Eris left again. Two friends reconnecting over dinner.

"In what?" he asked slowly, placing the spoon on the plate. "To kill Beron," she replied, making him cough on air- Kayden had been rubbing off on her.

"You do not need to," he said. She rolled her eyes, "I want to Eris. I will take utmost pleasure in it too." He chuckled, grateful to have her on his side.

"You want the crown, and I want new trade routes and to expand my court relations."

And so another alliance began. One of trade and treason.

I love the Eris-Ria friendship.

Have a fun read :)