Chapter 30

Survival 

Ria knew someone was trailing her- one of Rhysand' servants probably. She wouldn't have minded it but it did make her life a bit more difficult. No longer did she seek the prison duties and nor could she talk to Eris unless it was when she took drinks to his private room. Her brother's spies never faltered in their trailing of her- no matter how much she tried to lose them in the crowd. Of course, she could always go invisible but she did not want to take a chance and risk Dusk. And so, his spy or spies continued to trail her and she continued to act oblivious.

It was another night of party- the one before the second trial. Ria was disappointed and angry as she served the drinks. Dante was still being held the past three days and Eris had only gleaned that she was in the chambers that were present in the very heart of this godforsaken mountain. Ria was furious at herself- at her inability to help her friend. Eris too, she knew, had tried in his own way, but they both were unsuccessful. It was a waiting and praying game now.

Rhys had come but with Feyre on his arm, she couldn't help the narrowing of her eyes. What was her idiot of a brother thinking? That girl needed rest and sleep before tomorrow's trial. She understood that the wine helped Feyre forget but honestly! Yet, she could only stand and hand out drinks to the Fae, fuming silently. If she ever revealed herself to her brother again, they were going to have words. And not just about this- but also about his self-sacrificing tendencies. Ria was no fool; she knew that every single thing had a price. And the one Amarantha extracted from her brother- well, the False Queen had her days numbered. Every now and then, Rhys would scrutinize her and Eris too, noticing this, would glare at her. I told you so, his face said. Ria only rolled her eyes, and continued with her task.

It was on her last round that she noticed something- no, it couldn't be. A button lay on the ground- a bronze button with a sigil that was so familiar to her. One that she had drawn on the sand beaches, on her own hand, traced it in the sky these past years.

A setting sun. A reflecting lake. And mist.

Her home.

Dusk.

Sucking in a breath, she quickly bent down and slipped it in her dirty, worn out pocket. Rhys was busy talking with Feyre or rather, bantering. Eris had been dragged by his excuse of a father. Keeping the tray down, she walked behind a pillar. Only stragglers lay here. Quietly, with a last glance, Ria vanished into thin air. Now invisible, she only had seconds before either her power might get noticed by Amarantha or she drained herself to the bed. So, she rushed toward the exit, her heart beating wildly against her ribs as she hoped with half trepidation that someone from her court was here. For her. Had found a way to help Prythian.

There- in the shadow of the light. With careful, soundless steps, Ria made her way to where the figure stood. The hood was drawn and no one- not even Rhys spy trailed her. "Come out from wherever you are hiding," she softly commanded. There- the shadow looked darker and unusual. She stepped closer, "now. Or I call the guards." No sooner had she said those words than a knife was put to her throat. She gasped, taking a few steps back till she hit the stone wall. "You want to rescind that statement?" A gruff voice said. The features came into light and Ria gasped.

"Tanvi," she breathed, "fuck, is it really you?" The knife pressed harder as the female snarled. "who are you?" But Ria was too far to care. Homesickness was hitting her in waves and seeing a familiar face had undone her far more than she would have cared to admit. "How is everyone?" Ria asked desperately. Kayden. Aria. Amari. Rowan. Kali. Her friends. Her court. Her home to protect.

"I will not ask again," she hissed and a small trickle of blood came down her neck only Ria was too slow to hide the scent that came with it. Tanvi's eyes went round as the coppery scent hit her. They all had familiarized themselves with each other's scent since they always had to glamour themselves and their body smell when they left Dusk. But the scent of blood was distinct for each of them and now Ria's was trickling down her neck.