Chapter 5

A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view

The female hovered over the girl's body. Ria's eyes could be seen moving even as her eyelids were closed. She was in mental agony- the female realised, feeling sympathy for her. It had been ages since Ria had been bought here to heal and recover. And after a long time of waiting, she had started to show signs of waking up. Finally.

A whimper could be heard every now and then. Sometimes a smile. The female wondered what was going inside her mind. "You will have to wake up soon," the female hovering over Ria' body now said. Her voice was like an ancient melody. "Your court awaits you. Your destiny beckons you," she hummed. Ria whimpered again.

One year. That's how long it had been. The Court, for one year, had waited in bated breaths- for her to get up or for her to die. The wait was excruciating and someone or the other was at all times in the room, should Ria show any signs of anything.

They had almost given up hope- the nobles that is. But, the female persisted for in her bones, she knew Ria was it. That her destiny was more than simply dying due to a betrayal.

"Please, stop," a voice groaned and the female gave a startled cry. "She is waking up," the female shouted and started checking Ria' pulse that had started to go up. "Quickly!" she cried and a healer burst through the door, panting. "Here," the healer said, her hands full of all sorts of medical herbs that they might need.

"I want to get up from this. Stop," Ria moaned again and the female' hope came to a crescendo. After a year of waiting, the Princess was finally waking up. A moan. The female gave an impatient sigh, almost standing on her toes. Ria seemed to struggle to wake up- her eyes darting in all directions.

"Wake up, then!" The female huffed in slight frustration, not knowing what to do, and to her surprise, the voice seemed to reach Ria whose eyes shot open.

Ria blinked as she took in her surroundings. Getting up in unfamiliar places was never good- granted, it was her first time. But, looking around, she only saw signs of comfort and care. The female had not said anything yet- along with the healer- both, giving her space and time as she shuffled through the various questions coming and going from her mind.

The bed she was plush. And the curtains were drawn so to not let the sunlight disturb the silence of the room. The room in itself was neither small nor lavish or comically big. This was a room not made from recently acquired wealth, but from generational wealth- or by someone who knew how to maintain their finances yet keeping that taste of royalty alive.

And it was while she was taking in everything- the room and its occupants- when she remembered. She remembered her recently acquired terrible tragedy; that she was now without a mother who was murdered by Spring bastards. Rage and agony filtered through her but she did not let it show. Never let it show- it was what her father would have told her anyway.

"How did I end up here?" she finally decided to ask, the question burning in her mind. The healer handed her a drink which she accepted only to keep it on the bedside stand. The female smiled when she saw this interaction. "We saved you just before the High Lord of Spring was to target you."

Ria gave the female a once-over- she seemed wise, yes, but strong enough to take on a High Lord? As if sensing her doubts, the female added, "we will answer your questions as soon as you are well enough- mentally- to accompany me outside. As and far as trusting us goes.. we wouldn't have spent so much effort in saving you only to give you poisoned water." And with a quick smile, the female left in swish of her gown.

"Maybe you changed your mind," Ria muttered at the door the female had just closed. The healer though, chuckled. "We aren't fickle-minded," and she could only observe as the healer checked upon her.

Ria stood in front of the mirror- assessing herself. She looked fine. And that was the problem. After what had happened, she should not be looking fine. Wearing a beautiful 'lehenga' with her wings encasing her figure- she felt good. Cleansed. But, she should be looking anything but- not when her inner self was going through such turmoil and sadness. With one last dejected sigh, she left the room. Straight and then second right, that is what the healer had told her. Following those instructions now, she cautiously entered the room.

The female sat on the sofa- her spine stiff and straight. The years before had not been the best but the hope had come in the form of the girl who was now getting ready. Ria Darling, the Princess of Night. She was finally where she belonged.

"Do you think she will be what this court needs?" Hawthorne- a young male asked, his hands skimming through some book.

"I think she can be whomever she wishes to be."

As if on cue, Ria entered, tip-toing. Her hesitant demeanour though changed to an arrogant and bold one when she saw them waiting. Hawthorne and the female, both got up in sync. "Welcome," Hawthorne said, bowing. Ria did not bat him even an eye as she went and placed herself right in front of the window overlooking the palace wild grounds.

"Where am I?" she demanded more than questioned.

"The Dusk Court- the eighth court of Prythian."

"No such court that exists."

"And yet, here you stand, in its very heart." Hawthorne rolled his eyes.

Ria whirled, facing him then, anger prominent in her eyes. "I am not so easily convinced. Nor fooled."

"Allow us," the ancient female intervened, "to prove it to you then." And Ria could only nod, albeit hesitantly.

The ancient female gave a small smile which made her seem like a kind grandmother, though Ria did not let her defence down. "You can call me Kali," she said, "I am sort of the unofficial mother of everyone in this court. I look after its people, the on-goings, and the welfare of the palace. It does help that I am good at strategy."

When it was clear that Kali was done speaking, Ria' eyes went and sat on the male. "Hawthorne," he said, "Kayden Hawthorne. I am a trainee in this court, and my free time is for those with the wish to learn archery or dancing." And to Ria's utter surprise, he winked at her, making her momentarily forget to ask her next question.

Clearing her throat, she asked, "Am I in the Night Court?"

The faces of the two Fae went from warm and welcoming to dark and shadowed in seconds; such was the effect of even saying the name of that court. "No," Kali finally answered, "you are not in that court." The hatred was mildly hidden.

"Then where am I?"

Kayden replied this time when it seemed Kali was lost in her own thoughts. "You are in the Dusk Court. The court that is on top of the Prythian map- above even the infamous.. Night Court." Ria opened her mouth in protest, but Kayden raised his hand to silence her.

"I do not lie. And simply because you were not aware of this before- giving the fact that it is a closely guarded secret from the rest of the world- does not make it less true. We can tell you how we saved you, how we have remained in hidden for so long and why. But, only if you trust us and we trust you."

Ria contemplated. "Do I get to go back to my home after this?" Kayden shook his head slowly, "it is complicated." And he was surprised as the Princess did not rage or whine, but scoffed, "isn't everything?"

Maybe, he wouldn't mind working with the Princess of the Night; his prejudices reforming themselves.

"So," Ria said, making her way to sit on of the empty seats, "how will the two-way trust work?"

And Kayden and Kali smiled. She could be the hope of the Dusk Court- with time, resilience, loyalty and unrelenting strength.