Chapter 21

It's time

Ria was back in court. The Council surrounded her in a round table meeting.

It had been almost two centuries since she came to Dusk. Twenty decades of getting to know her people, her court, her powers and her crown. Hers. Her home. Her everything. She missed her family almost every day but she had learned to live with it. Her found family helped. Kali, Kayden, Aria, Rowan and Amari- they were her priceless relationships. And there was Eris too, along with Helion.

"Our court can only be self-reliant for so long," one of the nobles was saying, "we need more allies. Three states and Autumn' heir allyship aren't enough." Day Court, Lanky of Mortal Lands and Rask.

"Dusk has done it for centuries, surely, it can for some more time." Ria said. Her voice and opinion had become crucial to everyone present as she had proved over the years, her importance and worth. The noble nodded, "Of course we can, your Grace, but the people are wary. And with your entrance, they have become restless with hope."

Ria gulped, "it is not so easy. I will need to ease the rest of Prythian into the idea of another court even existing and before that, I will need to convince them that I am alive due to luck and not by witchery. And then, after their narrow-minds understand that, only can trade be possible." She took a deep breath, "how much longer can our Court go?"

"A few hundred years."

"Then why the panic? We have time. One century is more than enough, we can surely do this."

"It can go in the blink of an eye, too." Ria shook her head, "not when I have a say in it." The nobles faces showed pride. "How do you think we should start?" One asked.

"Tanvi mentioned that Hybern is socializing with Prythian. It has been going court to court, seeking allyship and trade. Almost all have agreed." Ria mused.

"Is Hybern to be trusted?"

"I do not know yet. And so, I will attend the ball she is keeping for all the High Lords. Of course, my need to be inconspicuous will be taken into account. I will gauge then if Amarantha- I believe her name is- is genuine or not. Her promises seem too good to be true. And her rumours do not match them."

"So, as a servant then?" Kali mused. "Maybe, or as a side Lady. I will write to Eris and see if he plans on attending. Maybe I could accompany him."

"What about Helion?"

"He is still adamant I get him the Blinding." It had seemed she would need more than just her own blood- the Steward of the Court of Nightmares' non-coerced permission. Needless to say, Helion was a bit upset about that fact- he would only get the artifact after Ria found a way to convince Keir to allow her in that room of powerful objects, in the depths of the dungeon where not even a fly went.

"You will need someone with you." Kali stated, more like a stern command than a suggestion. Nevertheless, Ria nodded, "I will ask Rowan."

Her Inner Circle of Trusted were known by everyone here. Kali, Kayden, Aria, Rowan and Amari. It was a good, diverse lot whose loyalty and faith Ria had earned. There would never be a doubt in her mind that they would ever be standing anywhere but beside her. The nobles knew this too.

"It is settled then."

Kayden stood assessing the daggers she had chosen to take with her. "Kali said you will take nearly three days." Ria nodded. "Why won't you let me come with you?" his frustration came over. Ria sighed, "I need you here to look after everything else. Besides, Rowan is with me."