Chapter 26

Monsters stuck in my head

She was in his room- Rhysand'. He was out though but Ria couldn't help the sniffle that came out.

She had hated herself since the time she had fled this place- she always will too. But, she had her court to protect then as she did now. She knew in her heart and mind that had she stayed, she would have been caught in the early years. Nevertheless, the hate never thawed.

Ria looked around. His room was immaculate even now- some things never changed. She was replenishing the woods in the fireplace when the door opened with a creak. She glanced back and had to stop herself physically from running and hugging her brother who stood on the other side, around the couch, hands, as usual, in his pockets.

She bowed her head, "I was just replacing the firewood, High Lord." He gave a nod, "continue."

She went back to her work, ignoring the sigh she heard as he sat down on the couch, a glass of whiskey in his hand already.

"You are new," he mused. She nodded, "I came here after my sister died." He did not reply, and then, "I am sorry for your loss."

"You are the first one to say that to me in this place, your grace," she said, getting up and turning around. He tilted his head to the side, "you seem familiar." Ria shrugged, "I share features with my sister- shared." Words she purposefully chose. "And you do not have to be sorry. The thing about sharing features with her is that I know I will never be alone. She is with me- sisters don't abandon, not if they can help it."

A dark look passed his face before it become neutral again. They- Rhys and Ria shared features too. It was her stupid way of trying to tell him she would always be there for him.

When it seemed he would not say anything more, Ria bowed, taking her leave. Her heart was beating fast and no matter how much she tried deep breathing, the traitorous thing wouldn't listen to her. But, her brother was here. And that was enough. More than enough.

"Have a pleasant night, High Lord," Ria said, between a sharp breath.

He did not say anything as she left.

Oh, what a role he had chosen in this play, Ria thought.

"Three months before our fate is decided," Eris said one day. They both were laying in his bed, staring at the ceiling above. "Three months before our fate is decided by Feyre. And if she loses, we choose our fates after then." Ria squeezed his hand. "We will get out- I know we will. I just need to find a way to communicate with people at home."

"Four centuries and you still cannot find it?" he mused darkly. Ria sighed, Amarantha' power of all the seven High Lords and hers was not a joke. At least her Dusk powers remained in hiding- unknowing to the bitch queen. "I will try for fucking four more centuries- but dammit, I will not give up." Eris squeezed her hand in response.

She hadn't forgiven the girl but, she supposed that Feyre had given the wrong name without knowing she would be incriminating Clare. She would have to wait a while longer for her own revenge, Ria thought. Besides, the poor girl was suffering enough. And if she truly was a survivor, and could withstand Amarantha, she could be the successful key to free her idiotic brother. She had come here for Clare, but she would leave now with Amarantha's death. For Clare. For Rhys. For Eris. For her own home.

"Does a scorpion sting when fighting back?" he mused beside her, startling her back to present.

"It strikes to kill," she gave him a side look, "and so we will."