Chapter 6

A hundred thousand things to see

Ria had settled into a fine rhythm. Kali and Kayden were her constant tutors and companions and she did not mind it. She was yet to be trusted with the history of the court and the true residents of it- she suspected there were beings other than Fae as well after few memorable encounters with the court nobles- but, they had explained how they had saved her. And shown her the powers that were associated with Dusk. Needless to say, she was in equal measures surprised and glad to have found where her powers came from- and that she had someone to share it with.

Kali and Kayden on the other hand had been relieved to see how she already knew a little about her powers, making their job easier. They also took her powers as sign of her being the one who might lead them outside this dome they had been in for centuries now.

As of now, Kali stood near the shelf, trying to pick up a book to lend to Ria. She skimmed over the titles, searching for the dust cover of an ancient book. Ria had been here for a month now and Kali finally trusted her enough to tell her few things about Dusk- and Kayden, Ria' only friend at the palace agreed. There was only a small visit Ria would need to have before Kali handed over the History of the Dusk Court: a comprehensive guide to her.

Finding and carefully placing it in her tote bag, Kali went toward the training grounds where Kayden was showing off his skills to the Princess.

"When will you start teaching me?" Ria asked him, her legs bouncing impatiently as she sat on the cot, hands folded, with a scowl.

"It is not something I will teach you just like that. Archery is an art- and something that needs to be earned."

Ria gave a low growl but he blissfully ignored her as his arrow found its mark just an inch from the red circle. "Maybe I will have to find someone else, since you seem incapable of finding the mark. Should I find a teacher for you too?" Ria asked him, a picture of innocence. It was Kayden' time to glower and growl.

"Why don't you-" Kali cleared her throat; she had known him long enough to predict what was about to come out his mouth if she did not stop him.

Hearing her, the two quickly came up to where she stood, their spat forgotten, ready to be of help. Ria too had started seeing her as an elderly figure whom she respected.

"Get ready and meet me here again in fifteen minutes. We are going out," she informed them. "Out?" Ria asked, "as in further than the ten miles boundary you have set for me around the castle or...?" Ria asked her this every time they had gone someplace- whether for Ria to sightsee or for some work. Only this time, the answer that Kali gave her was, "Yes." Ria blinked, not expecting this answer making her chuckle.

"I will be back before he is," she told her and ran to change. Kayden scowled after her, shouting, "I am already ready, Ria," and received 'the finger' from her.

Kali chuckled, glad the two were getting along. There was something about the other that made their playful side become prominent. 

Ria trailed behind Kali, listening intently as Kayden explained where they were going to her. She took in, absorbed each and every information, all smiles and laughter gone from her face. The Princess of Night walked with them now. "The Dusk Court is one of the most magical places, if you will, of Prythian. And like your Illyrians, we too have other beings- other than Fae- living in harmony here. There are more than one, and Dusk is their home."

"I figured as much," Ria mummered. Kayden nodded, "we do not tolerate prejudices," he said and Ria' eyes flashed dangerously. "You think that low of me? That I would care how someone looks, or is born into," she snarled. Kayden shook his head, "no, I do not. But," he sighed, "I need to prepare you for what you will see. And you might face prejudices too as Dusk has a history with Night."

"One you will refuse to tell me."

"In due time, Ria." Kali interjected.

She huffed, and back straight, followed Kali without another word or glance toward Kayden.

"We are here," Kali announced. A small cottage stood in front of her with plants decorating around it as if like a fence. The entire atmosphere of the area seemed magnified. The grass was greener, the flowers enticing and Ria felt her own powers starting to thrum beneath her veins. They had walked through an entire village where people had stared at her with curiosity and some semblance of pride which she did not understand. And the outskirt of that village, Kali had let them through a glamour that now let them see the scene in front of her.

"Who lives here?" Ria asked. "An old lady," Kali replied, "a witch. An unscrewed cracked case. Depends on what mood she is in." Kayden snorted. Ria stiffened, "a witch?" Now she understood what Kayden had said about prejudices. Witches, according to the stories she had grown up with, were nothing short of trouble. And extinct.

"You will visit her," Kali said, "we will be waiting outside."

Ria whirled towards the female she come to respect. "You are sending me to a witch- beings long forgotten, and extinct. You are telling me that right there," she pointed toward the cottage, "is an actual female with potions and prophecies and trouble."

"A few witches still exist in this world. Some, as you know, are known to occupy the Middle where no one dares go. Some, by which I mean one, decided to make her home here. She, if satisfied, will be the one who explains to you the history of Night and Dusk. And later, I will explain to you your true heritage, and remove the restrictions you have been forced to follow."

"You truly mean that?" Ria breathed. Kali nodded.

Ria made her way towards the door, slightly hesitant. She had a feeling this would not end well, but she trusted Kali and Kayden enough to come here. She had trusted them since the very start when she had made the bargain with them- she stays only if they never purposefully put her in a fatal situation, directly or indirectly. They had agreed. And since then, her stay here had been safe and smooth; even as she spent most her nights awake and in pain, plagued by nightmarish memories and longing for what once was familiar and home.

She knocked on the door, hoping no one was inside to answer. Her prayers went unheard as a slow click was heard. Pushing the door wide open, she peered in, still not taking a step forward. "Come in and close the door, dear, its too sunny outside for my liking," a voice came, making her heart beat faster. She did as told.

It was dark inside, and she had to blink a few times before her eyes readjusted to her surroundings. "Welcome to your destiny, Ria Darling," the witch said, finally coming into view.

Ria stood dumbfounded. The witch was not how she had expected her to be. Instead of the old, grimy clothes and wrinkles decorating her face, the witch seemed to be ... pleasant. She wore a dress made from cotton, her hair was up in a stylish bun and her face her a small smile, one that was kind and warm.

"How do you know my surname?" Ria finally found the sense to ask. "I know a lot many things," the witch mused. She was not sure she particularly liked that idea. "And what all would that include?" Ria asked, her head tilting to the side. The witch laughed, "I suppose that's what you have come here for."

"Come sit," the witch gestured to an empty chair while taking the one beside it. Ria followed suit. "Would you like something?" she asked. "No, thank you," Ria replied, portrait of calmness as she sat with her legs crossed and spine straight.

"Very well," the witch said, "before I tell you what you so desperately want to know and Kali has sent you here for, I have a question of my own."

"Well, do go ahead and ask, though, I cannot guarantee I will be able to answer it or not."

"Tell me, Ria Darling, what will you give me in return for my knowledge?"

"You seem quite content to me to need anything more." The witch chuckled.

"What if I asked for your loyalty?"

"Loyalty is earned."

"Then a chance to earn it for this court," the witch said and Ria consented.

"Once upon a time," the witch started then, with no warning and Ria found herself on the edge of her seat.