Chapter 4

Did you ever hear about the girl who got frozen?

On a land long forgotten, Ria dreamed. She dreamed of all the beautiful and gory memories she had acquired in her life time. Good and bad- both important in shaping her. 

This was death, she supposed. Death in hell, for who would want to relive their life again- see those familiar, loved faces but never be able to see them grow, never be able to make new memories, never be able to touch or feel them and the nature again. Just staying ever-silent spectator as her own life was shown to her as a play. Hell only could be so cruel. Mother, what had she done to deserve this?

Rhys had gone to Illyria with her mother visiting him again. Her father was in his office, attending to some work he claimed was urgent and dire. Mates- her father and mother claimed to be. A rare bond between two compatible people- if that were true, her parents were a joke of it. "Ria," her father' booming voice reached her and she scampered off to his office, her book thrown on the floor. Taking a deep breath once she reached the door, she knocked first and then entered, ever composed. "Yes, father?" she asked. "Come sit," he gestured to the chair in front of him, across the wooden table. She did as asked.

"There is an upcoming ball held by the Autumn Court," he started. Ria nodded, "it is next week, as far as my notice." Her father nodded, "yes. And Beron' errant sons will all be present. I need you to be careful. Use your power should need be- your Night Court power," her father said and she dipped her head in acknowledgement. Her Night Court power- her other being an unnatural ability of a mixture between daemati and glamouring. Like a glamour, she could create a perfect illusion, and like a daemati, she could make this illusion move, speak, be felt by an individual even. It came quite handy to her father when she wanted to practice it and he had people needing to be interrogated. Of course, this was a well-kept secret within the family. A secret weapon. She took pride in that. "Of course," she replied.

"Autumn has started acting up again. I don't trust them. Be careful. And find what you can," her father instructed. Act as a fool, damsel in distress, or be a mysterious female everyone wanted a piece of or charm the pants off some noble. "Consider it done," she said with confidence. He nodded and went back to his papers. A dismissal. She got up and was almost about to leave when she heard her father whisper, "may the Mother be with you," and she felt her heart warm just a tiniest bit.

Later that week, she let the maids help her get ready. A rare thing for her to do given the fact she always chose to be alone in the mornings given the fact she was very much capable of getting ready by herself. But today, she let them do her make-up and hair. She needed to look pretty. Someone knocked on the door, "come in."

Slowly, as if on look out for something or someone, Rhys came in. "What is it?" she asked, dismissing the maids. Her hair was done anyway and her face only required mere touch ups. "Stay by my side tonight," he said and anger flared up. "I will do no such thing. I have my own work to do and I intent to enjoy myself while doing it," she replied. Rhys eyes narrowed, "I can do it. Or help you," but Ria shook her head. She wanted to do this alone. "You do what father has told you to do, and I will see mine own. This way, we cover more ground too," she replied. "This is the Autumn Court," her brother hissed, "you do not-"

Ria snarled, "do not," she interrupted him, her voice deadly, "condescend me." Rhys eyes flared but he did not reply. He only scoffed and left. She sighed; sometimes Rhys forgot she was not a kid anymore. She had matured over the years, seen the War, been part of the side lines, studying the papers of the war room when everyone had left. She was a female in her own right and it was time her brother remembered that.