Chapter 24

Into the lion's den

Ria was halfway through with her journey. She hoped to contact Kayden the time she step foot on the Continent. Maybe there his Daemati abilities wouldn't be blocked by Amarantha's magic that cloaked her and all over Prythian- well, almost all over. Just two more days, Ria reminded herself as she sat huddled in her bed, restless.

She regretted leaving her brother behind but there was nothing she could have done anyway, she kept chanting in her mind. She was powerless against the power of seven High Lords fused together. Ria knew her limits, and this was one of them.

Maybe, once she reached her court, she could find a way to break Amarantha' spell. No doubt that her Circle was on it already, but the silence that had prevailed for so many years was only testament to the fact how strong the Bitch Queen really was. Ria needed to claim her power soon. The only problem was that she did not know how- unable to dine a loophole in the Goddess' curse. But there was hope- there had to be.

She was almost asleep when her chest shuttered with pain. She looked down to find the replica of the charm she had given Clare. It had been broken. No, Ria cried. This couldn't be happening. And so, cursing the forces above, she demanded and bribed a boat right back to the Mortal Lands harbour, back to the place she had hoped to never go again, all for her friend.

She came upon a horrifying site. Clare' house had been burnt down to the ground, only ashes and distressed villagers left in its wake. What happened here? Ria wondered as she dared venture the area. She would have notched it down to a household fire except that only three bodies were found, meaning either Clare or someone from her family had escaped or hadn't been home. The second thing she notices was the trail of blood that left the burnt house, disappearing a few metres ahead. Ria sniffed the air but the smell of ash and fire was too overpowering.

Cursing, she made her way to one of the villagers. "What happened?" she demanded to one of the males who lived near the Beddor'.

"I heard screams and when I came out," he ran a hand through his already ruffled hair, "well, their house was up in flames."

"Did you see anyone else?" Ria asked urgently. The man shook his head. "Probably messed with 'em Fae or some rich scum," a male nearby said, gripping a bottle. And although he was drunk, Ria could not help but think that his guess was among the likeliest thing that might have happened in comparison with the other sound-minded ones.

It seemed Ria would be entering Prythian sooner than later.

She was in Spring- the one court she had promised herself all those years ago to never step foot in. Yet, here she was, almost three hundred years later, taking in the damage done to the Rosehall Manor by, no doubt, her cronies. Ria assessed the area, in hopes of finding some more weapons. She was in the foyer of the place when the smallest of shuffles came from the kitchen. Quick and quiet as a cat, she made her way down, toward the only other breathing thing in this godforsaken place. It was a female- finding her way through the mess of food decorating the ground. "Cauldron, curse me, that woman," she muttered. Woman, not female, Ria noticed. "Stupid little girl," came more curses.

Ria checked herself- three daggers, one arrow and a pocket knife. More than enough for the female in front of her. The female had yet to notice her presence, too much in her own distress. A knife to the throat, Ria stood behind her. "Hello," she purred. The female stood still as a statue. "You are going to answer few of my questions, darling," she said. The female nodded hesitantly. "No smart moves, or I behead you before you can say sorry, understood?" The female nodded again, in earnest.

"What is your name?" Ria asked.

"Alis," her voice was surprisingly still steady. Good- she hoped the female had backbone.

"Well then Alis, I am going to remove the knife that is currently drawing small drops of blood from your neck, and then, you and I are going to sit opposite each other. No sudden moves, or I will strike."

"Understood."

"Now, Alis," Ria started, "I have a few questions I want answers too."

Feyre fucking Archeron. She had always felt pity for the youngest sister but at the moment, she was filled with anger towards her. Feyre, that imbecile, had given Clare' name to protect her own. No wonder Amarantha had sent cronies for Clare- and in turn, her entire family of innocents.

"Where is Feyre now?" Ria asked. "Under the Mountain," Alis whispered. Her next destination was confirmed. Getting up, Ria brushed off the dust on her pants. "Here," she extended her smallest dagger to the female, still removing some of the grime that had stuck itself on her tunic.

Alis looked at her, surprised. "Travel safely back to your nephews." Was all Ria said. "It won't be fatal but will give you a few minutes head-start if used properly. Do you know how to wield a dagger?"

"Thank you," Alis whispered, a small smile gracing her lips. "And yes, I do know basics."

Ria nodded once, sharply. "Good."

The way to Under the Mountain was strangely cathartic and emotional. She had not expected it to be. For forty eight years, she had kept her emotions closed, only allowing herself to mourn once or twice a week. She would see Rhys and Eris again. And maybe Clare- Ria let herself have that tiny bit of hope. She needed it.

She entered invisible, and thankfully to an empty throne room. Her connection to Rhys' magic which was tied with Amarantha made it easy for her to pass the wards. Well, it had taken her only two hours that is to say.

Taking care to not breathe too loudly, she tip-toed towards the servants living quarters. There were no guards checking that door- unlike the others which the slimy Attor' looked after at the moment. He sniffed the air but Ria felt no fear- she had learnt how to mask her scent, or rather glamour it over the years. It came in handy every now and then.

And so, down she went, into the servants quarters. And quietly she changed into one's clothes- slimy, dirty and with holes in them. But it would be worth the network she would build the following the day- one that would feed her gossip and stories about the past 48 years and more importantly, of Clare Beddor.

And so, she slipped under the mattress where a female was already snoring. And as she closed her eyes, her glamour let her done the mask of a poor maid in this vile place. The mask of Raya who looked familiar to the escort Eris had bought to this damned place all those years ago but no one ever remembered.

Tomorrow, Ria decided, tomorrow is the day she would find Feyre Archeron and Eris Vanserra. Rhysand would have to wait just a tad bit longer. 

:)